[Play Raw] Kensington Market, Toronto - High Contrast Evening

Hey guys, here’s another [Play Raw]. Once again there’s a hidden agenda on my part, evil laugh, which is that I would like a good starting point in nicely editing evening/night shots. I’d like to have your takes on it :smiley:

RAW FILE (LG V20 phone - not well supported in RawTherapee, sadly)
1230181640.dng (22.1 MB) - licensed as Creative Commons, By-Attribution

(below) - And here’s a sample of what I did in Lightroom for Android :stuck_out_tongue:

Another RAW I’d like to make available from the same shoot is this:
1230181401a.dng (22.1 MB) - licensed as Creative Commons, By-Attribution - Preview below.
1230181401a.jpg.out.pp3 (11.6 KB)

I think I caused a bunch of confusion among you good people, with my confused descriptions and such. What I guess I meant to say from the start is that I’m trying to figure out the ins and outs of what it is that makes dark edits look good; from creamy orange highlights to subtle blue shadows. I think I’m a few steps closer in the sample below, and I really appreciate all the collaboration I get from you all!

Also here’s a few other ones I did in RawTherapee last night, but I feel there’s something missing about them…

Update:
I’d hope for something like this :stuck_out_tongue: but don’t think that’s necessarily possible.

2 Likes

Please attach the raw file and give it a license! A jpeg preview would be nice too!

EDIT: Please explicitly license your files, @stefan.chirila :slight_smile:

1 Like

My version

1230181640.dng.xmp (6,1 KB)

Since you processed the image on the phone, I too tried Snapseed on it. Here is the result.

1 Like

RT 5.5

1 Like

Without faux-QAM:

With faux-QAM:

Two edits here, both using darktable.

2 Likes

I don’t get where you want to go with the images…you posted one evening shot and a couple of daytime shots and then said you wanted those to be like the rainy night time image at the end??

Here’s a version.
In RT:

• Dynamic range compression
  • Exposure
  • RGB curves
  • Perspective correction

In Gimp:

• contrast curves for lights and shadows separately
  • saturated the sky, the blue less
  • added a color toning to the darker parts:
    – shadows = cyan/blue,
    – midtones = magenta

3 Likes

Here is a serious version using RT 5.5. I wanted to see how much detail can one bring out from the dark areas in the top right corner. Once again, it is amazing how much this raw file from a tiny sensor can be pushed without artifacts.
1230181640-1.jpg.out.pp3 (12.1 KB)

ADDED
Here is a shot from a 70’s film in which the three dudes are about to abduct the lady trying to enter the Mafia owned shop :laughing:
1230181640.jpg.out.pp3 (11.8 KB)

3 Likes

1230181640.dng.pp3 (12.9 KB)

Here is my tryout.

@stefan.chirila what are the problems with that phone and Raw Therapee?

Btw, seems to me the dng is already heavily processed by the phone itself.

1230181640.jpg.out.pp3 (12.4 KB)

1 Like

1230181640.dng.pp3 (11.4 KB)
RawTherapee 5.5-dev

I was just cringing at the extreme distortion of the wide angle lens raw files. But I suppose it’s meant to be considerably cropped anyway.

Maybe you want something like this PIXLS.US - A Masashi Wakui look with GIMP

1 Like

thanks

If lensfun had calibration data for your mobile you would be

\LARGE😿\ ➡️😺

The only LG mobile in Lensfun now is the G4

2 Likes

A loose try to match the wished style…

4 Likes

My contribution with darktable 2.601230181401a.dng.xmp (6,6 Ko)

2 Likes

The streetcar photo is more appealing to me, so I will start there. This is my workflow:

1. PhotoFlow → HL mode (blend) → AMaZE → linear Rec2020 (no clipping) → reduce oog (curve 0→1) → linear sRGB 32f

2. gmic → filter pixels → crop (1.5:1) → sharpen (high freq contrast) → HLG (curve) → blend (Retinex) → adjust brightness, contrast (curves) → recover sky → adjust brightness, contrast (curves) → local contrast, sharpen (guided) → reduce chroma (curve) → sharpen (LoG) → resize (1800)

3. darktable → perspective correction (auto, rotation) → JPG

Zoom 100% and enjoy!

1 Like