[Play Raw] Processing another very high dynamic range raw

RT Local Lab with an excluding point over the window:
P1440493_LocalLab.jpg.out.pp3 (14.3 KB)

My steps:

1. tried to get the window perfect (exposed for the window)
  2. added a local lab spot to the whole image, boosting exposure and boosting with a curve.
  3. set an rectangular excluding point over the window to exlude the window from step 2.

It still is a bit slow and the tools work sometimes in unexpected ways, but it is very powerfull, thanks @jdc .

4 Likes

This is what I would do.

1. Process image using your favorite raw processor.
  2. Generate two images (excuse the ugliness; I hope you see the point):
    a) Focus on window view: multiply blend itself.
    b) Focus on inside view: curve to brighten to the point window contents are blown.
  3. Selectively blend the two in a composite.

A

B

Here’s my try (darktable only). Just to see what I could accomplish, although I’d likely do a composite of two processed images if I wanted something nice. (And I’d spend more time fixing the colors in the sky, but for my skill level this isn’t too bad for the time I spent on it.) Thanks for sharing, this was a good learning experience for me! :slight_smile:
P1440493_mod0001_01

@McCap
Thank you for this feedback with “locallab” :slight_smile:

Jacques

Here’s a darktable edit:

P1440493

P1440493.RW2.xmp (7.9 KB)

The most important thing on this image was to change highlight recovery — otherwise the details in the outside photo would be clipped.

It’s also using an aggressive amount of “shadows and highlights” with a mask to preserve the details in the window.

Other notable edits:

• Velvia to punch up the colors and color zones to bring down the yellow tones a bit
  • Noise reduction (especially with color) to compensate for the interior scene being underexposed
  • A bit of local contrast and equalizer to bump up the contrast in the scene
  • Lens correction, because this almost always is a good idea (if you have a body + lens in the database, which this did)
  • Changing demosaic to a better (but slower) raw conversion algo
  • …And the XMP has a few modules I played with turned off as well :grin:

I also had version of the photo that duplicated your Lightroom edit, with the hard gradient and all, but decided to rather take advantage of the fact that darktable can do a lot of things Lightroom can not (and I’ve had probably what should be considered way too much experience with LR but just a little with DT).

The overarching goal was to process the photo in a way to make the room more of a focus, rather than the scene in the background (which is still important to preserve, of course).

5 Likes

Wow I like this. Well done, @garrett

P1440493_02

P1440493.RW2.xmp (42.9 KB)

These images are a good exercise but handling would be easier if the subject’s contrast is taken into account in the shooting stage. In such cases, I would take several pictures with a different exposure. Image processing often requires many different programs, but there are many alternatives. However, handling is probably faster and the result is better.

1 Like

Okay, I decided to do a less rough version :slight_smile:. Could still be better but I am merely illustrating what could be done. In retrospect, maybe I could make the window’s contents less overpowering. Process:

1. dcraw-rcd
    a) RCD demosaicing, 16-bit linear gamma, subtle highlight recovery.

2. gmic+clahe
    a) Remove hot pixels (caused by recovery).
    b) Gamma compression, clahe [→ this is the window layer].
    c) [Continue from (b)] s-curve, gamma expansion, recover chroma [→ this is the room layer].

3. GIMP
    a) Stack images into layers.
    b) Mask top image.
    c) Curve adjustment per layer.
    d) Layer from visible.
    e) Curve adjustment.

Enjoy!

Edit: I followed my own advice and made the window view less prominent. Let me know which you like better :slight_smile:. Alt version:

Ask for it, get it. New chalange? :wink: Just checked and I still have a bracket of this ±1 EV. I tried to make an HDR out of it in DT but still was unsatisfied. I’m a amateur photographer and used LR just to make simple enhancements. But when I see how other within few seconds make there photos go !wow! I also wanted to try. Don’t run around with camera so I don’t have much photos to work on. But sometimes there are few I want to work on a bit more. And trying not to spend too much time on learning and development. First was LR which gave a lot. Also was trying to avoid GIMP as a next program to learn. But the more photos I got stuck with such irregular areas to work on, the more I need a next step - and found DT with masks. Thought it would be a quick jump that will save me from GIMP. So here I am, see how poor are my skills and also that GIMP is a must.
So, back to first line - upload a bracket of 3 photos?

btw: you still need to tag that image as CC0 and then we can add the play raw tag to the thread.

Post-processing is an important aspect of digital photography. Because what the sensor sees and what we see are fundamentally different things. Even the JPG out of the cameras are processed. Without this aspect, your images will not be at their optimum best. Try to develop a liking for it rather than seeing it as a necessary evil.
In other words, in the beginning, do not count the hours spent in processing. With time you will discover which tools you are comfortable with and start getting consistent results. All the best!

I was going to go with a local lab version too, you beat me. It’s the most pleasing version so far, to my eyes.

1 Like

Thanks for the nice words, it was actually my first time using the excluding point and I am surprised how well it turned out.

Good night pips +) and sorry for the overload of pics, oven’s hot hot

Tried it with Rawtheraspee 5.3 - didn’t go with the loca-lab party as wanted to try the hard way, a challenge you say. Used gradient but not for the sky, for the golden chicken coin, meh results (off course operator “fault”) :vulcan_salute:t6:

pp3_1600px
P1440493.RW2.pp3.zip (3.9 KB)

Then onto darktable but the HL recover results threw me off the train, the train of sssiiiiiinnnnn!!!
So the sugar rush or is it rash, anyway went to ps’s camera raw, too easy, too fast 20 sec t6::vampire:t6::female_detective::woman_factory_worker:t6::woman_factory_worker:t6::clown_face:

ps_cr_P1440493

We need massage, massage of pixel level, we need the penguin’s pancake maker, yeah!
So dcrawing (officially a verb) dcraw -v -w -H 9 -o 1 -q 3 -6 -T a recovered window

P1440493-dcraw_2560px

and we’re on PhotoFlow time… not being able to make straight masks - in PhF they’re all gay, bezier gay to be precise - made the process a lot harder, cochina miseria digital. At least managed something usable, this was the stone soup :man_facepalming:t6::monkey::evergreen_tree::squid::8ball::dart:

phf_flow-und-photo-poroto

resulting in a tidal wave of fire

P1440493-dcraw_PhF___2560px
P1440493.pfi.zip (4.7 KB)

Finally, the light below the car is super important, last tunning steps, pure gmic (same as usual) filters and a slightly shifted provia 400F, such a good emo, mean emu. Had to denoise in the end, satan’s was peaking through the vynil cracks, but put grain back. Like they say if the noise annoys you, you’re getting old… Anyways not perfect (sticky residue on the HL and posterization on window’s ornaments) but a worthwhile journey… need to shut my trap, cheers

P1440493-dcraw_PhF-gmic-NR_pprovia400f-shift_2560px

1 Like

It’s hard to figure out what was the color of the sky at the time of shooting. It seems obvious that there are clouds in the sky. Is the color of heaven then blue? Do you remember @GoboPeter what the sky looked like?

RT + DT + Gimp :slight_smile:

2 Likes

P1440504
This is a view to the clouds few minutes after leaving church. Few minutes before entering the church the sky was blue. Just made a quick export from RAW without any modifications.

In previous thread there was a suggestion taking bracketed photos what should make developing much easier. So I checked my backup drive where I found such with ± 1EV. This was one of my first things I tried after installing DT - make an HDR but I didn’t like the result so I dumped it. Now it returns but I realize that approach “only DT” with a magic button “HDR” has no chances. If I can ask for a proper developing process, I would appreciate it. I installed GIMP 2.8 (there’s a new 2.9 dev. ver.), but have no idea how to work with it so it will take some time before I’ll be able to follow work flow.
Information about photos: This is inside Dominus Flevit Church, Jeruzalem, Israel. A short film about it: https://youtu.be/wc4od2IshlY
Shots taken November 2017, no tripod, so to stabilize I placed camera on the backseat of bench.
P1440497.RW2 (18.7 MB)
P1440496.RW2 (18.6 MB)
P1440495.RW2 (18.6 MB)
This file is licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike
(Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike)
So if you would like to take challenge and share guidelines to help a newbee to opensource sw, here it is and thanks in advance.
Peter
PS. thank you @afre

2 Likes

There’s not much point to this playraw. It’s the same shot as in the previous one, and these bracketed images aren’t worth their weight in bytes since they’re taken in full auto mode only 1EV apart.

1 Like