[Play Raw] Winter Textures

Interesting… I’m always interested in CA, as I don’t see what I think it is in my lens collection, so I jump at the opportunity to explore it. Here’s a 500% zoom into @s7habo’s image (left) and the raw in-process in rawproc, linear RGB (right):

I assume it’s the yellow edges to which you refer. In the linear RGB, you can see the starting point for that shading, but it’s faint.

On the linear RGB in rawproc, I toggled on and off the lensfun CA correction, that just accents it. I backed out to look at the whole image, and observed that the shadows are splaying in the opposite direction, indicating that the sun is illuminating the branches on the side of the yellow coloring. So I think what’s going on is that the branches have a sunlit component along their edges, and the color correction is amplifying it, to the point of haloing it past its boundaries.

Thanks for pointing that out; I like to pick at such to understand it. What I’ve asserted is just my conjecture; would appreciate others’ takes on it.

DSZ_7522.jpg.out.pp3 (14.2 KB)

5 Likes

Here’s a 500% zoom of my RT version (just because of CA)

Edit: Left with raw ca correction, right without:

See the version of what @heckflosse just posted!

I must say RawTherapee is unbeatable as far as lens corrections are concerned. For each aspect there is extra function, with the help of which you can make very precise corrections.

I find it outstanding that even if a lens has a lensfun profile, you can still adjust and improve it very precisely because lensfun corrections are mostly half-baked. This is actually the only thing I really miss in darktable.

1 Like

Does darktable not have the auto CA correct that occurs before demosaic? Because I’ve separated it out into librtprocess so anyone can have it; Filmulator has it.

1 Like

It’s not that easy in darktable because of the roi concept. @hannoschwalm can tell more about that :wink:

Ah, now I remember.

1 Like

Hmm, looking at the commit log … honestly most of the work was from me… or do I miss something?

Though of course librtprocess was your idea :+1:

1 Like

wow, impressing how clean you got it.

1 Like

DSZ_7522.NEF.xmp (9,9 KB)

5 Likes

Yes, the roi concept makes a few things more difficult. The raw ca module for dt has been updated in current master (will be in 3.6) and includes most features from rt code.

6 Likes

i like snow… :slight_smile:

Winter Textures_DSZ_7522.NEF.xmp (13.5 KB)

4 Likes

DT 3.4.1.1

DSZ_7522.NEF.xmp (17,4 KB)

2 Likes

darktable 3.4.1.1
DSZ_7522 DSZ_7522.NEF.xmp (15,8 Ko)

2 Likes

A quick edit using the developmental branch:
– A slight crop
– Filmic
– Color Correction (eyedropper from snow)
– Color Balance RGB
– The new detail based mask, on two instances of contrast equalizer, one for what I want to be the subject, and the other for “background” things.

Goals were:
–“natural color”
– “3d look”
– Having the eye dance around the photo

Best part is the edit look under 5 min, and leaves what I think is a natural, good looking photo that would have taken a TON of skill on film :slight_smile:

Loving this new workflow.

3 Likes

My edit with darktable 3.5, with sigmoid.

DSZ_7522.NEF.xmp (9.8 KB)

2 Likes

nUFraw in GIMP => GIMP Lab

2 Likes

Very nice shot. My edith with DT 3.5. Inspired by the work of @s7habo

DSZ_7522.NEF.xmp (11.8 KB)

4 Likes

I love mountains and snow …
Here’s my try on the very nice shot (DT 3.5):

DSZ_7522.NEF.xmp (10.9 KB)

2 Likes

What is ROI please?