[Play Raw] Woman's legs through a scrim - Abstract Photography

I did a session in the studio the other day where I was messing around with shooting a model through a scrim, and different lighting techniques. I’m really happy with a lot of the pictures.

This is one of the more “minimal” ones. I liked the composition, subject matter and the lighting. The simplicity of the picture made it tough for me to figure out if I could improve it. So, I decided to mess around with the “color toning” feature of RawTherapee.

The yellow haze around the lines reminds me a lot of a Mark Rothko painting, the way he put those real gentle brush strokes and blended the colors together.

I’m curious to see what other treatments people come up with. There is not a lot to work with, which is part of the challenge and part of the fun.

Raw file here: https://filebin.net/j6mae1aio6h2mzuq
PP3 attached to this post.0U4A6932.CR2.pp3 (10.9 KB)

I’ll be putting more of my “scrim” photos on my Instagram account (@damonhudacphoto) in the next couple days. Most of them will be processed a bit more conventionally. I do all my processing in RT and GIMP, so feel free to follow me on Instagram if you want.

Licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0

3 Likes

I’m not sure that you snapped her legs, but if the following image were interpreted and brought to life, she’d be a millipede.

Beautiful legs

0U4A6932.CR2.xmp (5.0 KB)

2 Likes

Quite! And so with that title (legs through scrim…) it’s not very abstract IMHO.

I like how you brought a bunch of detail out of the fabric in front of her. How did you do it? I am not at all familiar with darktable. Was it a normal curve adjustment where you dropped the exposure of the highlights? Or is there more to it than that? I am trying to think how I would do the same thing in GIMP or RT.

Exposure down a little, highpass filter with softlight blend mode for contrast and mainly equalizer (luminance).

I think you could get somethink similar in other programs but I did not try in gimp and have only very little experience in RT.

1 Like

@Stampede thanks for the minimal legs. Lab colleagues :womans_hat: :nail_care::kiss:

I’m curious to see what other treatments people come up with.

I went @Joan_Rake1 ‘s way, tried to stop before Nicholson lost it… dunno if I managed; retrospectively I’d probably had more room for manoeuvre if the tiling was applied towards the end… but I also like limitations… and now I see an alien crab. Anyway, all inside gimp and all g’mics;s’'sss

Some interesting forms on the way

Some byproduct

All together now

Cheers

1 Like

@chroma_ghost It certainly gives me the space vibes. Even a cute little metroid! Wait, why is it siphoning my life energy?! Plays Brinstar Overgrown With Vegetation Area for the ambience.

PS Bonus arrangement with cat, long hair and beard: https://youtu.be/tXNM1P0sARc.

jajaj ajja jja don’t let it siphonize you!! I don’t think I knew the game nor the jellyfists… seems as one gets older it is both sure about many things and not sure about many things, sometimes even both the same; paradox crash!!!
The soundtrack’s dope and the beardy dude has plenty cool game’s ST, I liked this one too

For exchange (nothing to do w video games though), this cover of The Beatles’s E. Rigby’s cover by Collier, one of Quincy Jones’ protégés. All good friend :hugs:

Edit:
wrote Handcock instead of Q Jones