[PlayRaw] Dornbusch Lighthouse -- A Film Emulation Challenge

I used Darktable and GIMP. In Darktable I have reduced the contrasts and with GIMP intensified the lightness and colours of the tree and the soil. After that I applied Kodak Portra 160 film emulation:

Kodak Portra 160

Authentic reproduction is not so important to me. I use film emulations rather intuitively. I look at the overall impression they convey and how they affect the important details of the image.
Applying Kodak Portra 160 emulation in this picture, the warm tones of the evening sun reflected by tree bark and grasses are discreetly emphasized without strongly affecting the blue colors of the sky and green color of the leaves and grasses.

1 Like

Darktable only-- I went to apply a film emulation, but I thought this image already looks fairly film-like, so I didn’t. :smiley:

DSCF0083.RAF.xmp (15.8 KB)

1 Like

I’m not sure, if I understand you correctly. Do you consider the quality of the emulation as bad? Or did you mean the results from the very early days of color photography are that bad? :thinking: In case of the latter, I think that imperfection can add to the aesthetics of a photo.

In fact I can see halos in some of the edits, somtimes they are quite pronounced. In my own edit I might find it, when looking long enough and viewing it on a smaller scale. It is in fact a result from processing. I tried a slightly different version and I wonder if you still see a halo.

1 Like

@Wocket

If you view them much larger, then large-radius halos tend to disappear.

Since I liked @PkmX’s so much, I used Kodak Portra 400 NC ++ on my take. Unfortunately, G’MIC doesn’t have 3+. (Thanks @patdavid for the clut.) Processing:

1. PhotoFlow
    a) Daylight WB, hot pixels + lens corrections, linear ACES without clipping.
    b) Subtle rotation to the left, crop.

2. gmic
    a) Apply gamma, increase local contrast, remove gamma.
    b) Generate DD mask from D50 L*.
    c) Blend original image with local contrast variant using the lightness mask.
    d) Apply gamma, apply Kodak Portra 400 NC ++.
    e) Prep for your viewing pleasure. Enjoy!

Feedback appreciated. I want to improve. Perhaps a tighter crop from the top would be nice…

Alt Crop

9 Likes

I like the closer crop a lot.

Nice job! I also like the tighter crop more than the full image.

Thanks, I discovered this view when examining the image on my smartphone in portrait mode. I often do this to double check the colors of the image, since none of my screens are profiled. This perspective makes feel like I was there and, fortunately, I kept enough detail and contrast to make it work.

My editing style is entirely inspired by film. My favorites being Kodak Portra in varying speeds and the Fuji Pro film series. For that reason, I usually stay in the “Negative New” tab in the film emulation presets (thank you again, @patdavid) in G’MIC and various RAW editors where they are available. Custom curves, strength and intensity tailored to each particular image, are a big part of my work flow as are color layers set to a low opacity on soft light or what ever mode suits best.

For the more “artistic” edits, I nearly always stick to GIMP, while RT and DT are used for basic things such as, WB, CA correction, defringing, and exposure compensation where needed. If working in DT, I always apply the Fuji Film base curve to every image despite the fact I shoot with a NIKON D90.

6 Likes

with darktable 2.60

DSCF0083.RAF.xmp (16,5 Ko)

3 Likes

I found myself going through some of the older PlayRaw posts and found this gem. Sorry, no film emulation.

DSCF0083.RAF.xmp (10.4 KB) DSCF0083_01.RAF.xmp (10.9 KB)

2 Likes

What a great view! Thank you for sharing, nice to play with it even after more than two years :clap:
RT 5.7, using Agfa Vista 200 CLUT

DSCF0083_RT.jpg.out.pp3 (12.4 KB)

… and a second one using Kodak Portra 160:

DSCF0083_RT-1.jpg.out.pp3 (12.4 KB)

Really a great view and so detailed!

1 Like

DSCF0083.RAF.xmp (8.8 KB)

3 Likes

My own LomoChrome Purple film Emulation

DSCF0083.RAF.xmp (10.0 KB)

My LomoChrome Purple Style

JM_LomoChromePurple.dtstyle (3.8 KB)

2 Likes

Another try

DSCF0083_01.RAF.xmp (6.5 KB)

4 Likes

I like this treatment. On another forum, folks have been dredging up old railroad photos of historical significance, and some look a lot like this (well, put a train in place of the lighthouse… :smile: )

1 Like

Revisited - with a warmer touch (darktable 3.0)

DSCF0083.RAF.xmp (17.1 KB)

1 Like

Little experiment to match the fuji superia reala 100 in darktable and gimp.

The first step was to export a neutral image and using the g’mic film emulation, the exposure was centered with middle gray at 18%

The second step was to match that image in darktable, first I’ve centered the middle gray at 18% again, the working space was set to PQ bt.2020,then I’ve used rgb curves and the HCL equalizer.

In gimp I’ve added a very small amount of grain and bloom effect in the highlights with a luminosity mask

DSCF0083.RAF.xmp (9.5 KB)

3 Likes

Lovely photograph!
My attempt in GIMP. I felt that the tree and the foreground should frame the lighthouse.
As to film emulation: a sort of Provia, by adjusting component colours.

Then second thoughts (I always have second thoughts!), as the lighthouse is a vertical feature, would a vertical format look better?

1 Like