[PlayRaw] Dornbusch Lighthouse -- A Film Emulation Challenge

My editing style is entirely inspired by film. My favorites being Kodak Portra in varying speeds and the Fuji Pro film series. For that reason, I usually stay in the “Negative New” tab in the film emulation presets (thank you again, @patdavid) in G’MIC and various RAW editors where they are available. Custom curves, strength and intensity tailored to each particular image, are a big part of my work flow as are color layers set to a low opacity on soft light or what ever mode suits best.

For the more “artistic” edits, I nearly always stick to GIMP, while RT and DT are used for basic things such as, WB, CA correction, defringing, and exposure compensation where needed. If working in DT, I always apply the Fuji Film base curve to every image despite the fact I shoot with a NIKON D90.

6 Likes

with darktable 2.60

DSCF0083.RAF.xmp (16,5 Ko)

3 Likes

I found myself going through some of the older PlayRaw posts and found this gem. Sorry, no film emulation.

DSCF0083.RAF.xmp (10.4 KB) DSCF0083_01.RAF.xmp (10.9 KB)

2 Likes

What a great view! Thank you for sharing, nice to play with it even after more than two years :clap:
RT 5.7, using Agfa Vista 200 CLUT

DSCF0083_RT.jpg.out.pp3 (12.4 KB)

… and a second one using Kodak Portra 160:

DSCF0083_RT-1.jpg.out.pp3 (12.4 KB)

Really a great view and so detailed!

1 Like

DSCF0083.RAF.xmp (8.8 KB)

3 Likes

My own LomoChrome Purple film Emulation

DSCF0083.RAF.xmp (10.0 KB)

My LomoChrome Purple Style

JM_LomoChromePurple.dtstyle (3.8 KB)

2 Likes

Another try

DSCF0083_01.RAF.xmp (6.5 KB)

4 Likes

I like this treatment. On another forum, folks have been dredging up old railroad photos of historical significance, and some look a lot like this (well, put a train in place of the lighthouse… :smile: )

1 Like

Revisited - with a warmer touch (darktable 3.0)

DSCF0083.RAF.xmp (17.1 KB)

1 Like

Little experiment to match the fuji superia reala 100 in darktable and gimp.

The first step was to export a neutral image and using the g’mic film emulation, the exposure was centered with middle gray at 18%

The second step was to match that image in darktable, first I’ve centered the middle gray at 18% again, the working space was set to PQ bt.2020,then I’ve used rgb curves and the HCL equalizer.

In gimp I’ve added a very small amount of grain and bloom effect in the highlights with a luminosity mask

DSCF0083.RAF.xmp (9.5 KB)

3 Likes

Lovely photograph!
My attempt in GIMP. I felt that the tree and the foreground should frame the lighthouse.
As to film emulation: a sort of Provia, by adjusting component colours.

Then second thoughts (I always have second thoughts!), as the lighthouse is a vertical feature, would a vertical format look better?

1 Like