[PlayRaw] RAW Challenge: Backlit

With rawproc, mainly to see if I can open any raw other than NEF. Just gamma to drag the data out of linear, a curve to lift the shadows, and a bit of HSB-based saturation. Resized to 800x534 and a smidge of USM sharpening for posting.

2 Likes

Using Rawtherapee’s Tone Mapping tools.

2 Likes

I can never back away from a backlit challenge. Or a dog photo, for that matter! Here’s mine with some basic adjustments in DT and enhancements in GIMP.

5 Likes

DSC02168.ARW.xmp (12.7 KB)

1 Like

A very nice photo! :slight_smile: Here is my slightly faded take:

Somehow the colors on my screen are a bit whaky at the moment. But I hope it looks decent on other screens too. :slight_smile:
The edit is darktable + some sharpening in the gimp.

8 Likes

@Jonas_Wagner, I like this edit alot. It combines a decent structure and sharpness with the washed-out characteristic of the backlit situation. The only thing I would probably change is reducing the yellow/saturation in the blown-out highlights in the sky.

I wonder how you achieved this result, it would be great if you could share some processing details.

Looks a great shot to edit

I will have a go at the weekend, I love these posts whereby we edit another photographers images, as we see such creativity.

BTW : A Beautiful dog, well cute :slight_smile:

@chris DSC02168.ARW.xmp (23.1 KB) should reveal all the important bits. The only other step was some final sharpening in gimp/gmic (RL deconvolution to a new layer, added a mask and selectively painted it in). I agree on the sky something is off there. Likely because of the graduated filter I applied. I might give it another shot at some point.

Edit: Here is a slightly warmer version:

6 Likes

@patdavid - amazing - looks like a movie still

@HIRAM - that crop really changes the focus. Love it

I’m surprised no one used some highlight reconstruction to keep the cloud definition as they lightened the image.

Also, I love how many differences came from one base image.

Here’s my submission! This is a lot of fun! Mostly processed in RAWTherapee, with a quick trip into GIMP for some help with the sky.

1 Like

Wow. This sort of blew up!

@patdavid I like the cinematic approach you went with. As @djotaku said, this could very possibly be a movie still as the camera slowly pans over the grass field into something very… dramatic.

@Jonas_Wagner Nice faded look! I definitely like the second version better as well. The warm color cast also gives the image a nice autumn-ish feel.

@djotaku The main challenge is to realistically recover details from shadows and highlights without producing many artifacts (mainly halo). The latest entry from @RT-Noob actually did a surprisingly good job in this department here!

Again, thanks for everybody who participated!

2 Likes

Hm, it looks worse when I use your xmp with my darktable. What’s wrong here? A version conflict (dt 2.0.1 here)? That’s what it looks like (screenshot, but export does not differ):

Hm, what’s going on here? Is it your screen calibration/output colour profile that makes the difference?

Edit: Maybe a missing input colour profile? Step 48→49 does not change anything.

I’m on 2.0.4 but I doubt that’s where the difference comes from. I also doubt that it’s the display profile. It could be an input color profile thing or that the xmp I uploaded was outdated. Let’s try again with the xmp for the second edit:
DSC02168.ARW.xmp (29.8 KB)

@Jonas_Wagner Mine also looks similar to @chris’s screenshot (with your second XMP). I think a input color profile is missing here. From darktable’s stderr:

[colorin] could not find requested profile `a6000_darktable.icc'!

That would be this profile then: https://29a.ch/tmp/a6000_darktable.icc
I don’t remember how I created it so just take it for what it is: a random profile. :slight_smile:

My take - Darktable 2.0.4

That’s a rather nice profile (at least it is much better than the standard matrix or those converted from Adobe DCPs). Thanks for sharing it. :slight_smile:

I’ve been using the Rec2020 as input color profile for the A6000. It is not perfect and nowhere close to being accurate, but it gives a really awesome rendering to the image that is pleasing to my eyes.

Finally, as a bonus, here is my dog trying to be awesome:

9 Likes

Processed with Rawtherapee GIMP and G’MIC. In Rawtherapee, I was perhaps a little bit too enthousiast with the wavelets:

Hi folks, here is my quick take. Processed only in RT :slight_smile:pieseł.pp3 (11.0 KB)

HL recovery in the sun looks a bit odd. Perhaps try “Color propagation” instead of “Blend”?