[PlayRaw] Roadside Sunset at Newbigging, Angus, Scotland

Wow, this is already pretty much perfect straight out of camera. Fantastic job! :slight_smile:

Here is my little attempt with darktable and gimp. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

This is a very nice shot! Thanks for sharing!
I tried a crop using darktable…

IMGP2426.DNG.xmp (10.3 KB)

1 Like

I also tried to process this picture (I am reevaluating DT at the moment) and this is a really nice picture although I had wished for some ND Grad filters. I’m highly interested in feedback as I am learning DT at the moment. Thanks

PS: I think its a little oversaturated. I will give it another try this evening.

(Only in DT, only IMGP2426.dng)

EDIT
I changed a couple of things during lunch. Still interested in how this pictures looks on different screens, as my screen here is far away from being color calibrated. This time, fullres and the according XMP.
IMGP2426.DNG.xmp (6.1 KB)

1 Like

Two general observations when browsing through the whole thread:

• The sun is the brightest point in this scene, it should remain the brightest point in the photograph. Some people have “recovered” it to the point where the clipped part has turned grey or green and that looks disgusting. A clipped-white sun is better than a green sun.
  • The purple plants are not reflecting light. If they were reflecting light then one should be careful to not over-saturate them, but they’re not reflecting light - they’re emitting it! The low sun hits them from behind, and with the position of the camera being behind them, they glow. They glow purple/magenta, and should be quite saturated in the processed photograph to look natural.
2 Likes

RawTherapee 5.2 Inverted parabola Chromaticity-by-Lightness curve to help deal with the sun.
IMGP2425.DNG.pp3 (13.8 KB)

52 AM

1 Like

My very late take on this one, done with photoflow and enfuse.

I processed the input images with minimal settings (basically just demosaicing, daylight WB and linear Rec2020 output profile), then passed the resulting images through enfuse for a pseudo-HDR result:

Then I took the result back into photoflow, replaced the sun with the one from the darkest frame, and applied few curves masked with gradients to separately adjust the tonality of the flowers, fields and sky. A little bit of local contrast enhancement, and the result is here:

P.S: I will upload the .PFI file a bit later…

3 Likes