Pre-Dawn Sun With Boat Trail

I am a newbie in both photography and darktable, and enjoying it quite a lot so far. Both require a steep learning curve which makes it more fun. Also, this has been forcing me to go and walk around and look for potential shots.
One morning I was rushing for the sunrise but unfortunately there were no clouds to get something interesting. Saw this Boat passing by leaving a trail behind and I quickly tried to capture it. The photo is rather underexposed and 200 ISO. Here is the raw file - IMG_1598.CR2 (25.7 MB)

IMG_1598_03.CR2.xmp (39.1 KB)

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.

Any criticism and tips for improving the processing (also on the snapshot itself) would be much appreciated. I have been lurking around this forum for bit and finally joined to get feedback and improve :slight_smile:

9 Likes

IMG_1598.CR2.xmp (8.6 KB) IMG_1598_01.CR2.xmp (9.0 KB)

1 Like

@newbie please explicitly license your file.

Thank you for the suggestion. I think I re-edited it correctly.

1 Like

IMG_1598.CR2.xmp (12.8 KB)

IMG_1598.CR2.xmp (17.1 KB)

4 Likes

IMG_1598.CR2.xmp (18.8 KB)

I think the exposure is good, better to black out the rocks than to lose highlights in the sky IMO. Nice shot.

2 Likes

Hi,

IMHO it’s underexposed by at least 1 stop, and that’s counting the specular highlights in the sun/clouds, which you can probably let clip without issues (in which case, you get 1 – possibly 2 – more stops of headroom).

To that I agree :slight_smile:

Nice, shot thanks for sharing
DT 3.2.1

IMG_1598.CR2.xmp (11.3 KB)

Thank you everyone for all the edits and feedback. Very helpful and great learning exercise.

2 Likes

DT 3.0.2

IMG_1598.CR2.xmp (7.4 KB)

1 Like

Better late than never, now that @syyrmb found the cause of artifacts in my previous attempt.

pre-dawn-sun-boat-IMG_1598.CR2.pp3 (11.6 KB)
RT 5.8

My fun in GIMP_Mantiuk 2006 and LAB

My 5 cents… Trying to guess which were the colors (or they impression)
(I love sea sunsets…)

IMG_1598.CR2.xmp (15.3 KB)