Problem when using XYZ LUT monitor profile with GIMP-2.10, GIMP-2.99

That “wall of text”:

• very clearly documents how to install and use the many incredibly useful and amazing ArgyllCMS utilities.

• is chockfull of useful information about profiling devices and about ICC profiles in general.

• puts professional level monitor and printer-paper profiling in the hands of people who would never be able to afford buying into the various proprietary softwares, in the process providing tools that are as good as and often considerably better than proprietary counterparts.

ICC profile color management is tricky and difficult to get right. ArgyllCMS is the only free/libre color management software that has been consistently reliable over the years I’ve been using Linux.

The ArgyllCMS “wall of text” website, the ArgyllCMS forums, and using the ArgyllCMS utilities have taught me a lot about ICC profile color management over the years since I switched to Linux, in turn allowing me to contribute to debugging other free/libre color-managed software including GIMP. And there have been, and there continue to be, many such bugs in free/libre image editing softwares.

If you check various mailing lists, forums, and bug trackers going back in time, you will quickly see that Graham Gill has consistently given freely of his time and effort to improve image editing software and everyone’s understanding of color management. In fact he’s done so in this very thread :slight_smile: .

Take away ArgyllCMS and Linux color management will be much the worse.

Graham Gill is just one person. Demanding that he stop what he’s been doing and change the way the project is handled to make things easier for packagers, that just seems a bit much.

If someone else wants to take on the responsibility of making consistent builds with tags and stuff for distributing ArgyllCMS to various versions of Linux and to Windows and Mac, that might be nice.

Regarding ArgyllCMS bug reports, any bugs in newly released versions of ArgyllCMS get noticed by members of the ArgyllCMS forum, and then get immediately fixed.

My apologies to Graham Gill if I’ve spoken out of turn here.

Nobody questions that it has all those useful information. But it could be more accessible and some informations are missing or not as easily found.

I agree with all of the positive points.

What’s the point of this straw man? I didn’t demand anything. I pointed out that a release date is missing.

I could send a patch to add the release date beneath the release version, only the website’s code doesn’t seem to be hosted anywhere - another argument for change.

DisplayCAL’s website is also a wall of text, though it doesn’t suffer from difficulty in finding relevant information. Ctrl+f for “bug”, for “report”, for “issue”, or for the latest version, and the relevant and clear information appears immediately.

Can things be improved? They can.

Hmm, my apologies, probably I should have put a quote from @darix in there when I switched topics :slight_smile: . And perhaps “demand” was too strong a word to use. Maybe “strongly urge” would have been a better choice of words?

And you are probably the only one still using that build system which makes contributing to it hard.

That’s OK - in general I don’t expect code contributions, for reasons I have explained on the web site.

basically just python and ninja (though this might be optional).

Yes, it looks like an interesting build system, but I’m not looking for one at the moment.

The reason why I started hacking on the build system in first place that Jam did claim not to find some of the libraries which were installed though. with meson I could just query pkgconfig and be done.

I guess that the Jamtop could be altered to query pkg-config as an alternative to expecting things to be where they should be.

[ Far too telling that Linux needs a hack like pkg-config to work around the fact that different distros can’t agree where to place standard library headers and object files though… ]

Sure, but I did not ask for a future release date. I pointed out that there is no date given for the latest release (and no release history with dates, which also comes in useful when you’re writing articles, when you’re a package maintainer for various distributions, etc.).

Sure there is, right here.

The website is a wall of text, and ctrl+f for “bug” and “report” turned up nothing useful, so I disagree that it makes that clear.

Right below the second occurrence of “bug” is the whole section on " Getting Support for ArgyllCMS". But I take the hint that I can be more explicit, and will change this section title to " Getting Support for ArgyllCMS or reporting Bugs".

No overhead for you, assuming you already use git.

No, I don’t use git (or I use it as little as possible). I’ve decided that a one person project is right at the cusp of full source control/bug management being worthwhile/not worthwhile. As soon as it’s two people, then yes, its worthwhile, but not for one - my experience is that the payback is less than the extra time consumed, and time is the critical resource.

Thank you for the link Graeme, I hadn’t found that page before.