Problem with Windows install

This looks like an awesome program. I just installed the Windows version, but when I click it in the Start menu (or run it from its folder in Program Files), nothing happens; maybe a brief glimpse of a command prompt window. If I repeat this, it eventually tells me that I already have an instance running, but in all cases, when I look in Task Manager, I don’t see it. I uninstalled and rebooted after reinstalling, but that didn’t help. What next? Thanks.

If you have had a failed run you might have lock files…given the error that you mention you likely do. Sometimes when you first run DT on a new install you need to be patient and wait unit if gets everything ready …if you clicked again too soon it might be in this state… Are you comfortable navigating around in windows… If so you need to go to the appdata folder (might be hidden if you hide system folders)… and into the subdirectories to locate the darktable folder… you will find 2 lock files one for library and one for database… it is safe to delete these and then try to run DT again… Did you get a shortcut with your install if not you can also create one and run if from there… if this doesn’t work I would suggest we try one more thing… you can specify a new config directory that will set everything up clean… you run darktable with the command line switch… --configdir “path” where i have typed path substitute a new folder… just make an empty folder and provide the name …run DT this way and see if it works… If neither works well then we might have to look at trying to uninstall and reinstall it…

EDIT

Looking for this

In Users/your_username/AppData/Local/darktable folder

If it doesn’t start after removing the lock files and rebooting the machine, you’ll have to start it from the command-line with the argument -d common, which will write a log file that you can submit here.
The log file is placed in the ‘temporary internet files’ directory, please search the forum for the exact location.

Edit: where are error log files for darktable - #2 by g-man

Thanks for responding. Per “Sometimes when you first run DT on a new install you need to be patient and wait unit if gets everything ready …if you clicked again too soon it might be in this state”, that was probably the root cause.

I set hidden items to show, and found and deleted the two lock files. Rebooted, then ran darktable. No program window, and the two lock files are back.

I opened a command window, navigated to C:\Program files\darktable\bin, and typed darktable -d common
No new files there when I sort by date. the .debug folder shows a date of today, but when I open that folder, there is nothing new.

I tried looking for the log file, but when I follow the path C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\darktable\, there is no INetCache folder. I use Firefox, if that helps.

Uninstalling, rebooting, and reinstalling and running results in the same outcome.

What hardware are you running it on?? Have you had it installed before?? Is your video card driver up to date… Just wondering where to look next… DT supports something called OPenCL …for some hardware configurations it can have an issue so you can try to run with that disabled to see if DT will run… that provides a clue as to where to look…

It’s a normal, circa 2019 laptop (AMD Ryzen 5 2500 with integrated Vega graphics); it runs everything else just fine. I never had it installed before, but I have uninstalled in and reinstalled it twice today. My problem may have started when, on the very first install, it was taking what seemed too long and not doing anything, I clicked to launch it again. How would one disable OpenCL?

I’m now getting the same problem as @Coconuts and this is NOT a new installation. Nor is it on 'Doze. I’m on an AMD-compatible mobo with an AMD CPU and an AMD GPU. My old machine has an Intel CPU (IIRC) and graphics are onboard. The laptop is Intel plus Nvidia. All are running on Arch Linux and all are updated at least weekly, this Pc often more frequently. So DT installations have no chance of falling behind.

So I started up my very old - c. 10 years or thereabouts - PC which has been kept up to date and started DT. It showed the same message as this PC did when DT was upgraded, can’t remember whether it was to 4.0, 4.1, 4.2, 4.3 or 4.4. However, the message is:

your OpenCL computer settings for all devices have been set to default

OpenCL global config parameters ‘per device’ data has been recreated with an updated name. you will find ‘per device’ data in ‘cl_device_v5_canonical-name’ content is:
‘avoid_atomics’ + 7 more + ‘magic’ you may tune as before except ‘magic’

If you’re using device names in ‘opencl-device-priority’ you should update them to new names

So three separate architectures with @Coconuts citing a fourth. My suspicion is something has gone wrong when the devs were automating OpenCL settings, whether or not OpenCL was present on a device at the time (it was not, on this machine, I installed it subsequently). DT would run, albeit hesitantly, before and after running OpenCL, at least for a while. It only stopped when I tried to open it for the first time this week, yesterday evening.

I noted an update of amd-ucode was available so updated the system and reinstalled rocm-opencl-runtime. Darktable still won’t run but its name did appear in the address bar for a few seconds.

FWIW, I did what folks here recommended, and I am all set now.

1 Like