Processing blue pixels and white pixels separately

BVQX5524.DNG.xmp (12.3 KB)
darktable 4.2.1

Updated attempt - finessed the masks to bring out more of the cumulonimbus behind the sports hall and to shift the clouds closer to white.

BVQX5524.DNG.xmp (15.5 KB)

1 Like

Wow, that PDF is amazing. Full of interesting ideas that I have never read before!

A very interesting detail in your version: I owned a 4x5 view camera when I was younger. I always adjusted the back, so that vertical distortion was corrected. The result was a more attractive appearance to the buildings and houses, just as you have done here.
(I used the Perspective tool in GIMP.)

I prefer to have the perspective as my eyes/brain see the scene - it just looks “right”.

In my opinion one of the superpowers of darktable: “rotate and perspective”
Screenshot_20230605_002509

The issue is that depending on the attitude & azimuth of the subject - the stretching maybe too much to keep reasonable detail in some areas of the image. In some cases it is better to keep the camera level if you can and crop so that the amount of stretch is minimized and detail is consistent across the image.

I agree; the non-distorted lines are “right” and also correct, because the buildings do not actually taper.
Since the sky was the main interest, I had no choice but to point upward. Sad face.

I just had another play to bring out more detail in the cumulonimbus…

I have in the past expanded the range of detail differently in different areas of the image. In darktable - I’ve never had any real luck with multiple instances of filmic RGB - the result is typically destructive. However, I’ve had at times success with using sigmoid on an area like the sky and then using filmic RGB across the resulting image. To tease-out the detail across the sky - I’ve made a mask and used sigmoid to expand the difference in detail across the sky. Then used filmic RGB to gracefully merge the result with the rest of the image. Now you can see a little clearer the oncoming (weather) cold-front interface. It is about to get wet.

1 Like

My try.

BVQX5524.DNG.xmp (11.4 KB)

1 Like

With the Rawtherapee and Color Toning the selection is not bad in my opinion.

You have to use H, C and L toghether.

1 Like

Can you also upload the PP3 file from RawTherapee?

Voilà
BVQX5524.DNG.pp3 (13.9 KB)

I had never thought of LAB as a color space as accustomed as I am to using it on Rawtherapee.
I have a question, on Rawtherapee you can make LAB adjustments, but the color space can’t be LAB, why?

Still researching this topic, and came across VERY interesting post in this forum. Have not yet tried the steps described…

Darken the blue sky in a landscape

One option given in that forum thread is using darktable’s “colour zones” module to darken the sky. This is exactly what I did for my version of your image.

1 Like

G`MIC Dark sky

2 Likes

That really looks good. I also used the G’MIC filter the last time I revised this for Deviant Art (link below). I added some Nik>Viveza>Structure (which I suspect is a version of local contrast). And corrected the lens distortion.

One of the things that has occurred to me is that I don’t have a good way to select everything that is above the horizon line. For example, I know that the trees and power lines are not part of the sky, but the software does not understand. I’m hoping AI software will address that.

Latest public version at DA

“Horizon line” incorrect. Either “foreground” or “ground clutter” would apply.

Another test with RT:

BVQX5524_1.DNG.pp3 (15.1 KB)

1 Like

Thanks for working on this idea, and uploading the PP3 so I can look inside.

The colors kind of remind me of either the old Kodachrome slides, or maybe Polaroid photography.

1 Like

I think something very simialr to this technique can be done very easily using the colour calibration module in darktable now…
It does bring out noise though…
I also applied a gradient to darken the whole sky area compared to the ground.

BVQX5524.DNG.xmp (11.3 KB)

1 Like