Processing RAWs for HDR displays in Darktable

Great to see that the library is open-source! I’ll try to build it and play with it.

However, it is not fully clear to me if it supports anything else than JPEG as input or output. I saw some mention of TIFF in the issues, but I would have loved to see AVIF or JXL too.

Interesting thread. Following a tea and laptop accident in 2021 I bought a macbook with XDR display (P3 gamut and 1600 nit max) so have tracked the HDR evolution with interest.

It seems to me that the various approaches reflect the nature of the businesses involved.

Dolby has historically provided a new high end standards e.g. PQ 10,000 nits max.

Adobe with a huge base of legacy users/images has pursued a bridging approach jpg + GainMap.

I expect Google has their own business interests in minimizing image transport/retention and the number of formats to efficiently support.

The hardware vendors will push out new display hardware as they can differentiate it, produce it, and sell it. Apple with XDR. VESA (PC trade group) has a multiple tiers of max luminance (400 500 600 1000 1400) https://displayhdr.org

My cursory look at OLED is that while there is wide adoption for the larger area lower pixel-per-inch televisions, and smaller area higher pixel-per-inch phones/tablets it will still be a few years before they will be commonplace for computer displays medium area medium pixel-per-inch.

I expect there will need to be some bridging solution given the large based of displays and images, and maybe a separate final next generation standard based on technology that may not yet exist. So, it seems to me a big part of a solution is how the navigate the next decade while all this is sorted out. Specifically, how to produce images that can be rendered optimally for a target but sufficiently well elsewhere.

For some odd reason, this is the case with all PC and laptop monitors. It’s basically an “anti-sweet-spot”.

HDR TVs can provide excellent picture quality at EXTREMELY affordable price per square inch. Especially stuff like an LG Cn (where n is either the last digit of the year or X, not sure what happens when they roll around to previously used years…), where a 42" C3 (smallest they make) will outperform most monitors in the 27-32 inch range at a much lower price.

Similarly lots of OLED in phones, hell Samsung has been doing AMOLED for well over a decade in the vast majority of their phones. Of course back then, they were AMOLED with zero color management so were kinda notorious for garish oversaturated colors (Samsung marketed this as a feature…)

I think you may have misunderstood what I mean. All of what you say here is correct. I’m from the ICC world, and most colorspace ICC profiles are matrix profile, and can only do gamut clipping in theory, some CMM cheat a little bit. Here is a perfect example of what I mean, on the left is perceptual gamut mapping, and on the right, plain gamut clipping. The flower photos I take, looks almost as bad the right photo when converted from the camera colorspace to Adobe RGB ICC profile of my monitor. I have created ICC profiles versions of sRGB, Adobe RGB, ProPhoto, and soon Rec2020 made with 3d LUT, which will allow gamut mapping, contrary to matrix profile. I can also create ICC device link profile that do an even better job, and can be translated into LUT.

I’m trying to use my DSLR stills, which in my case mean a 14 bits depth and 14 stops, either alone, or merge into EXR, without tone mapping, to create HDR slideshows that I can upload to YouTube.

If your images or even your video clips colors fit with minimal or without clipping into say Rec709 (sRGB), you’ll never see that much clipping, if any, of course. Trust me, my shots are almost always way out of the gamut of Rec709 and even out the Rec2020 gamut quite often.

I’ll most likely do the following, first I’ll do a perceptual gamut mapping from ProPhoto RGB to DCI-P3 or Display-P3 and then to linear Rec2020 or to HLG Rec2020. That way, for any display capable of 100% P3, it will never require clipping. Of course, on an SDR, Rec709 display, it’s another story, but it seems we can provide a LUT for YouTube to use in rendering Rec709, I’ll make sure there is no clipping for SDR viewing as well.

I really want to view these images but it seems I don’t have a single HDR display in my house. I hoped my Pixel 6 supported it, but I think only the Pixel 6 Pro does.