Profiling a camera with darktable-chart

I use it on win7.

I wouldn’t know if this can be compiled for mac. But I’d imagine you know someone with a windows machine…

OK, good to know. I might follow that avenue up.

Still interested in some guidance in getting darktable-chart up and running on MacOS, if anyone can help there.

cheers

@Pascal_Obry don’t we package darktable-chart for MacOSX?

I am not sure parafin is on discuss.

Hi, @asn, if you meant this link, install | darktable, then I don’t think that installs darktable-chart?

Then create a bug report that it will be included with 2.6.3.

Hello @T_N_Args. No need to create a bug report. This works for me if I want to run darktable_chart from the Command Line on High Sierra:

/Applications/darktable.app/Contents/MacOS/darktable-chart

1 Like

@Hevii_Guy thanks, that worked!

I should just run away and play now, but I do want to say that it might as well have been an Easter Egg as far as I was concerned. There is no way I would have found that by myself. I searched my hard drive for “darktable-chart” and found nothing. Even now, I cannot find in Finder the folder that you reference, “/Applications/darktable.app/Contents/MacOS/”. Why can’t I find the executable for darktable-chart, even though I am now running it with your command?

Might I suggest @asn that you add to the OP a few words on how to start darktable-chart, please? And also the Darktable User Manual p219, starting darktable-chart is taken as a given when, to me, it is worth mentioning how one does that.

cheers

You can find it like this:

• Go to your “Applications” directory
  • Right-click on “darktable.app”
  • Select “Show Package Contents”
  • Open “MacOS”
1 Like

Thank you, I live and learn.

The story of my life!

If you keep learning and embrace change, you will never be old.If you stop, that’s when you start dying.

2 Likes

I am getting the same error message as @asn mentioned when loading the .cht and .cie files in darktable-chart, “error with the IT8 file, can’t find the SAMPLE_ID column”

I am not sure how to resolve this.

Just rename SAMPLE_LOC to SAMPLE_ID in the .cie file

1 Like

Hello,
Very interesting.
However, despites I read it at least 4 times, I still can’t figure why not just use a lightcage with 3 (or more) flash units, and if there really is a good reason to have to use the sunlight instead.
In any case, the time needed for the settings will be the same, however having to operate outdoor is much more constraining : find a suitable place, and, of course, ensure there will not be anyone to annoy you during the process.
BTW : I just bought a C1 chart, and I’ll be glad to share the results, as soon as I can ensure I can do it correctly.
Regards,
J.-Luc

If you don’t shoot in daylight, then you don’t want a daylight profile. If you mostly shoot with a Tungsten light you could create a profile for a Tungsten light.

As a landscape photographer I want a daylight profile.

OK, so, unless I misunderstood, we don’t want a daylight profile, but a profile that matches D50 specifications. And, according to this article, this is the color temperature of electronic flash units : Les films couleur argentiques lumière du jour sont équilibrés pour l'illuminant D50 (5 000 K). **C'est aussi la température de couleur de l'éclair du flash électronique**.
So, here again my question : if (decent) EFUs can produce D50 light conditions, why bother with all those constraints ? Especially when it can take days - weeks, months - before the good conditions are all met together.
Another point that puzzles me : I read many pages about device profiling, and some state that the created profile must be used only for photos taken in the same conditions.
So, it would mean that a profile created upon a photo taken in a precise environment could only be used for photos taken in that exact same conditions… The more I read, the more I feel confused.
In my case, I own a 60x60x60 lightcage that leaves enough space around the chart.
I can dispose 3 SB900 outside the box, resp. on the left, on the right and above, at an angle of 45 degrees from the sides.
Assuming the article is right, and the SB900 produces (almost) accurate D50 illuminant (5000K against 5003K for real D50 if I am not wrong), what is to happen then ?
Of course, setting all this will take almost as much time as doing it outdoor, but I can do it whenever and as often as I need - no clouds suddenly masking the sun, no rain suddenly flooding my setup, no dust nor humidity modifying the atmosphéric conditions, no cop inquiring the reason why I deploy such a setup and summoning me to clear off…
So… I still don’t know if a) Yes, I can use the described setup to correctly profile my cameras, or b) No, this will not give good results, and I must find the right moment in the year where I can give it a try.

1 Like

I’ve never claimed that this tutorial is the only true step by step how to. It is the collection of stuff I and @firstyear tried. This is a forum about Open Source, if you think using that flash will work, then try it and share you knowledge. Improve the howto with your findings. The profile I created for my camera works well with all daylight images. Also it should be simple with a white card and your flash to see what white balance you will get.

Even better would be if you create a daylight profile and one with your flash then you see the difference and it would be another step to improve this tutorial.

2 Likes

I have a photo “booth” with 72 cameras (pi and canon dslr). It’s used for capturing images which go to 3d rendering software. My white balances and colors from all cameras are just not a great match. I’m wondering if I can hire you to create a workflow that uses darktable to create a calibration profile (color card) to correct all images so that they’re closer to a common pallete? Each camera has it’s own pi, and each pi can run it’s own darktable instance, so only one camera needs to be corrected per pi and all an run in parallel. My email is hargrovecompany@gmail.com

thanks
Kevin

Hi Kevin,

I’m sorry bug I can’t be hired for such a job. I’m more or less just an interested darktable user :wink: