Purge/clear "collections"/"picture database" on exit. Any method?

Ya for me lets say I want to use windows photos or something to pull up the image on a tv or look at them on my phone……having a clean folder with only the exports is far better……the folder structure is identical and I don’t have to think about it…whatever folder it is in when I archive the raw files it goes there….I suspect there are a ton of organizations that people use…I just use year month day so I can sort them easily if I am looking for a file to share or look back on a vacation or something…I know I will never use tags and other features….it just takes to much discipline……

Date based filenames, like yyyyy.mm.dd.PIC00872.Session_name.RAW - what a luxury. Will write such script. I use a script that compresses RAWs and their sidecar files witg 7z - 18MB to 10-11MB. For safety - one “picture set” per archive. Good for backing up to servers.

exiv2 --rename ':basename:-%Y-%m-%dT%H-%M-%S' <filelist>

Then you unzip them when you want to edit or preview the raw?

Personally I have a zfs dataset with the compression set as high as possible and I also have restic set with the compression as high as possible.

Every picture as 7z archive plus jpg miniature in the same catalog. Small 1000px 70% miniature done automatically by mogrify-ing extracted JPG.
I use this only to create “online” backup - to FTP (no problem on unstable connections) , backup2mail (no “too big attachment” problem) or pCloud.
In case I lose laptop, external HDD and camera’s card in travel. Just download batch of 100 files in home and unpack with one command, then append to photo archive.
For normal purproses I just store uncompressed RAWs on my 240GB SSD which is few times bigger than I need. I keep all my data (also all my photos) on laptop’s mass storage (+ 2 100% copies on different media). Before I fill it, 1TB SSD will be probably cheapest available option on market.