Question about Auto Matched Tone Curves

OK, lets be very clear here. I’m talking about the following:

1. Load a RAW, press/use the Auto-Matched Tone Curve in the Exposure Tab → Exposure module,
  2. Safe this module and its settings as a profile,
  3. Add that profile to the Dynamic Profile Rules to be applied in general or on a specific condition,

If you now open a RAW that triggers the above rule the Auto-Matched Tone Curve will not be triggered, instead the (static) numbers calculated in step 1 will be applied.

You can, of course, press the Auto-Matched Tone Curve yourself after that profile is loaded (other stuff might also be set). But if I’m not mistaken this is not what OP wants. He wants the numbers to be recalculated automatically as if pressing the Auto-Matched Tone Curve for each RAW that is loaded.

This can not automatically be done via a profile created from the exposure module, you need to create a dynamic rule using the Procsessing Profiles → Bundled profiles → Auto match curve. The Low version does exactly the same as pressing the Auto-Matched Tone Curve in the exposure module. The Medium and High versions set some other, noise related, stuff.

1 Like

Gotcha. I misunderstood and retract my statement.

Sounds to me like we are in agreement regarding my initial inquiry.

Looks to me like it may have drifted to something else based on

Not sure what “Film Negative” and “(35mm film)” have to do with this discussion. My reference to camera/lens has to do with Color Management profiles and lens correction. I’ve only ever used RT to process raw files from digital cameras. One of the reasons I need to set up custom processing profiles is that I now have a Canon camera that produces the newer .CR3 raw files. While RT is able to develop these files, apparently, it has problems reading the metadata so without creating my own profiles RT has NO knowledge about what camera produced the raw file.

I also happen to use custom Output Profiles and as far as I know RT has NO way for me to specify my preference. The custom profile also does that.

I do appreciate some of the elaboration regarding the Exposure tab but at present I’m NOT intending to specify such in my custom processing profiles.

Yes its a forum, its inherent in this medium.

Not really, it was certainly not my intention. You mentioned this in an earlier reply:

The only “negative processing profile” that RT provides is the one that deals with film negatives. If that is not what you meant, please elaborate (if at all relevant to the rest of the conversation, that is).

You can add your own/other output profiles by hand (place them into the directory that holds the output profiles) and then access them via Colour Tab → Colour Management → Output Profile (Needs a restart when done with a running RT).

All is explained here: Color Management. If all you wan to know is the output profile section, it is near the bottom of the page.

I regularly use some of Elle’s Well-Behaved ICC Profiles [and on GitHub] or ProPhotoRGB. These are not part of RT out-of-the-box and I had to add these myself. Works like a charm.

RawTherapee also has an internal ICC_Profile_Creator that might be useful to you.

I pretty sure this, what can('t) be automatically done via the exposure tab regarding AMTC, was why you started this topic in the first place…

Oh I see! I did say that. Looks like what some might call a senior moment. What I intended was “Neutral” rather than “Negative”.

Yes, I’ve done that. However, I’ve been having to go and select it every time I output an image file. What I’ve been looking for is way to specify which one I’d prefer RT to use unless I explicitly change it to something else. That is something that gets pretty well taken care of when I use my own custom processing profiles.

Bottom line is that with the help provided herein I’m successfully using the Dynamic Processing Profiles feature with custom profiles made for each camera lens combination. It even helps with my new raw files that are NOT recognized for dynamic processing but all I have to do is select the proper custom profile (i.e., the one I wish was dynamically chosen) which is really NOT a significant burden.

Of course the metadata problem is much bigger than what we’re discussing herein so I have had to develop some new techniques for restoring the lost metadata in the image files created by RT for that camera. However, that is a different problem than what is being discussed here.

Thanks again for all of the help.