Raw Photo Editing in ART (screencasts)

Ya its RL…default settings including auto radius…interesting the default sharpening in RT is USM and I think RL for capture and ART is the reverse??

Hi,

ART has no separate capture sharpening. Also, ART and RT are two different apps. Related, of course, but not the same.

Sorry I misunderstood then what output sharpening is …so its not the equivalent of capture sharpening?? I understand that yours is a highly modified fork but I thought wrongly that output sharpening was capture sharpening and so the likely default methods would be the same as the code I assumed was the same for these functions…

Output sharpening is what RT calls post-resize sharpening

You learn something everyday…THX

A new one, taken from this thread:

Result:

3 Likes

Thank you for being able to do what I wanted to do. Now I will calmly study the video in order to understand how you used the various tools. Now a practically equal result I had already obtained using Photoshop and camera raw (which I know well because I have always used it for the conversion of wedding files. Now the note I want to do both for raw therapee and for Art and perhaps also Darktable (the I know little) is that they are complete and equipped with a myriad of tools, but to achieve an optimal result you have to act on a lot of tools (and it is not always easy to understand which ones).
With Camera raw with three or four clicks you can get a (almost always) good result. This is the thing that I find missing in these software (I understand that they are free and therefore do not have a whole series of technicians and experts behind them who work only for that), but in my opinion it would be useful to divide the menus with a quick menu in order to apply the basic corrections immediately.
I then decide whether to use other tools if the result does not satisfy me, for a professional use (as I would have liked to do) when you find yourself with a thousand shots to fix in the shortest possible time, here is the possibility of performing with a few interventions the necessary corrections, it becomes basic.
I am now retired and I have time to sell, but I do not think that if I had used Rt or Art, I would have never been able to correct all the images I had in the necessary time. It is not meant to be a criticism, simply an advice dictated by my experience
of current affairs photographer.

Hi,

thanks for your point of view. I can understand what you mean, but honestly I think ART is the wrong tool for the kind of photographer that you are describing. ART is for amateurs, not pros… it simply lacks too many features to be a “pro” tool in the sense above.

HTH

Even pro’s (at least some) might even resort to jpg files if we are talking thousands of images and a time line…

Hello @xdodo, I talk about Art and RT here. You can, but you don’t have to, use many tools to achieve a certain effect, that is: a correct and pleasing raw conversion. To give an example for Art, I manage to set the exposure right for most of my raws with just the Tone Equalizer and the Contrast slider in the Tone curve tool. I add some Saturation, activate the Sharpness tool and I’m done.

Wedding pictures are often made in a limited couple of lightning conditions: inside (church or town hall, the actual wedding), outside in a park for some glamour like photos, outside during the garden party and inside or outside at night, when people are dancing.

In Art and RawTherapee you can make profiles for each of these situations. Take one raw, edit to taste and save that profile with the name wedding-inside for example. All the shots made in that situation can be treated at once by applying that profile to the shots made inside during the wedding. Of course this is never 100 perfect, but works very well as a starting point after which you only have to adapt exposure or contrast for example.

This way you can treat 1000s of shots in a minimum of time. I use this procedure since years (first with RT, later with Art) for example concert photography.

I agree that these two programs do have a certain learning curve (where Art is by far the simplest). Now that you are retired, I suggest to take some time to have a closer look at Art, or RT if you like (or even Darktable, it’s a capable program as well, but has an even steeper learning curve imo).

Regards, Paul.

1 Like

I think I’ll take some time to understand the various tools better. One of the problems is English (I’m Italian I’m 72 and I know English roughly), so I often have problems deciphering the exact meaning of the terms of the instruments. Yes, the shooting conditions in a wedding are similar, except for major exposure errors that often occur at the entrance and exit of the church. Creating 2 or 3 profiles for each of the situations will probably speed up the work. I have to do some tests. For now, thanks

Adolfo

1 Like

Just curious, what lacking features are you thinking of?

Documentation and support are the first two that come to mind – I would consider them very important if my income depended on ART.
Then library management is non-existent and metadata support could be better. You can do both with digikam, but the integration of the two is a bit rough.
It is also true that e.g. Lightroom is probably faster to use as it has a lot of “smart” controls that seem to magically do the right thing for most people most of the time…
But these are all things for which I have very little interest (except maybe for more magic – who can be against magic? :wink:), so it’s unlikely that things will improve anytime soon.

I vote for more magic as well :wink:
But you’re right, documentation is lacking. But for support there’s this forum and most or all questions regarding Art are answered in a very short time. Then lib management (DAM functionality you mean, I suppose) can indeed be done with other programs. I don’t know what you mean with “better metadata support”.

I had a one-year free license of Lightroom but my conclusion was: I don’t need that, Art (or RT) can do everything I want. And Art is free, while LR isn’t.

4 Likes

Another episode is ready - autumn landscape edit. Focusing on the recovering the sky, improving contrast and colors, and overall scene perception. Not much of an artistic edit as usual, more about just general neutral look improvement.

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qmw4HxJ8CJo

7 Likes

I also wanted to mention that I really like that people here joined me in recording the screencasts. I would like to see more of them :blush:

I switched to newer version (1.9.3-12-g92033019b) and haven’t seen any crashes in hours of work (and a couple of hundreds of photos). Thank you for your work, Alberto :+1: :beers:

2 Likes

Not at all. Quite the opposite, it’s very good to have a brief explanation why you do what. My only critique, they are a bit short.

Thanks to you, and others, this topic is an ART users gold mine.

If we are concerned about it being a distraction, I suppose you could use subtitles instead.

As in appearance or verbosity?

Short in time. I think some are there for just a Second. I find a longer display time less distracting than jumping back.
Can’t find which one now, the cat video is good though.

Pity, seems Ramana’s videos are gone.

I use usercommands a lot for landscape photos, both for panoramas (hugin) and HDR photos (HDRmerge and Enfuse). Now I wanted to make a pseudo-HDR photo from a single photo. I made a new script for that. Here’s how :slight_smile:

(then a question: is it possible with a usercommand to export a file with different exposures?)

1 Like