RawTherapee 5.6 will get a Favorites Tab but no GUI to configure it

To clarify this: RT 5.6 can have a Favorites Tab. Because I’m not a GUI coder, there is no GUI to configure it. Means, for 99.9% of RT users there will be no Favorites Tab in RT 5.6. The remaining 0.1% can edit the options file to configure it.

RawTherapee 5.6 will support a Favorites tab, but due to the looming deadline of the 5.6 release, the graphical user interface which will allow one to add tools to this panel is not yet complete and will not make it into 5.6. As such, desperate users will be able to add tools to the Favorites panel by manually editing the options text file and writing the names of the tools they want featured in that tab, as described in a RawPedia article I’m currently writing which I will link here shortly.

2 Likes

http://rawpedia.rawtherapee.com/Favorites_Tab

3 Likes

Finally got around to setting this up with the option file, which is very simple for anyone who has been too intimidated to do this.

Love it!!! Very nice addition. Thank you!

My vote (as a user) would be to duplicate so I don’t lose track of where it came from.
A simple solution might be to leave a grayed out place holder behind and have only the favorites tab be active.

2 Likes

My vote is duplicate, I do not want the original menu system changed with my favorites.

3 Likes

I just tried the favourite tab. A very nice facility!
However, since I am familiar with which tools the different tabs hold, then I tend to go directly to the original tab when I want only a specific tool. Sometimes the tool is not there! I forgot that I had moved it to the favourite tab.
I vote for duplicates…:+1:!

2 Likes

The same story.
I vote for duplicates!

I would not advise duplicate modules.

In the favorites you put the modules that you will generally use most often in the image process and the correct thing is to put them from top to bottom depending on the steps to follow in the process.

In the end in favorites you get used to knowing where the modules are regardless of whether they belong to color or detail. You just have to go there, from top to bottom to see how the image looks.

And it has the advantage that the other modules in other tabs that are less used are quickly found when you have to look for them.

And finally, it is necessary to know that if in a form you put many components (modules), the program slows down = penalizes performance.

It is my opinion. Greetings.
(g translate)

1 Like

Thinking about it, I’m not sure what the favourites tab is supposed to achieve. For my own workflow 80% is done in the Exposure tab anyway (working from top to bottom) and I find processing with RawTherapee is just as quick as say Lightroom or DxO PhotoLab. If there was a way of hiding redundant or unused modules (as in Olympus Viewer for example) and some of the more advanced sliders (as in DxO PhotoLab) this would be far more useful I think and it would also go a long way to making the interface less intimidating for new users.

While working with Darktable I never used their Favorites tab. It is not that difficult to memorize where modules are. OTOH I used the dialog to hide/show modules every time I (re)install DT and sometimes when I learn about a new module or decide that I won’t use a module anymore. So I agree with @Wayne_Sutton - ability to hide unused tools and show the used ones would be quite helpful.

1 Like

I actually “reverse engineer” the usage of the Favorites Tab… adding Modules I don’t use often, or at all. This way my functioning Program is less cluttered, for me personally.

I find the initial Exposure too bulky as is, having to scroll down to even get past the Base Curve and such (I noticed in the variation version of RawTherapee - ART this has somewhat been simplified).

Anyway, basically I use the Favorites Tab to “get rid of” any Module I don’t need so please don’t duplicate Modules. DxO PhotoLab has this by default (duplicated Module Tabs and it tends to drive me nuts scrolling down the “pipeline” only to see repetitive open Modules.

That’s actually a pretty cool “abuse” of the favorites tab! One of the near certainties of software is that someone will find a way to use a feature that the designer never anticipated.

At the same time, though, plenty of people seem to like the favorites tab for its originally designed purpose.

Perhaps everyone’s preferences could be satisfied by having a favorites tab and a hidden tab, and giving each tool a where-to-display attribute with the value being one of favorite, default, hidden. If it’s favorite, display it in the favorites tab, if it’s default, display it in its normal tab, and if it’s hidden, display it in the hidden tab.

1 Like

That should be no problem. I’m only against duplicating tool places for reasons.