Rawtherapee Denoise Only

Hi,

are you processing raw files or “bitmaps” (tiff/jpeg/png)? can you post an example image and the pp3 you are using?

turning off white balance might work if you are processing a tiff, but it might not do what you want if you are starting from a raw…

I"m guessing you want to denoise a tif or jpeg rather than a raw file. After opening the image file, make sure the Neutral Processing profile is chosen. This resets everything to “don’t make any changes”. The white balance will be set to “Camera”, but this is misleading - in RT, for non-raw images, “Camera” means Temp=6490 Tint=1.002, which in turn means "don’t change the image’s white balance.

RT is my “go to” software for denoising non-raw image files - camera-saved jpegs, tiff exported from other raw processors or GIMP, etc.

I am processing a 32-bit TIFF that was exported from Darktable.

My hypothesis is that I will get best noise reduction by starting with the sensor-profiled denoise in Darktable, and then use the denoise algorithms in Rawtherapee.

My files are attached in a ZIP file - names describe how they were created. There is a JPEG exported from Darktable, a 32-Bit TIFF exported from Darktable, a 16-Bit TIFF exported from Rawtherapee, and the PP3 files generated by Rawtherapee (one for the display, and the other for the image export).

The Rawtherapee TIFF was generated by opening the 32-Bit TIFF, applying “neutral profile”, and then export the TIFF.

The JPEG and 32-Bit TIFF were both exported from the same file in Darktable with the same darkroom settings.

It seems my file ZIP didn’t upload, and I can only upload one file per post. Here is the JPEG output from Rawtherapee:

I cannot upload the 32-Bit TIFF used to make the JPEG in Rawtherapee, but here is the JPEG exported from Darktable that matches the 32-Bit TIFF from Darktable:

Here is the PP3 file that Rawtherapee generated when the 32-Bit TIFF was opened:

DarkTable-32Bit.tif.pp3 (10.1 KB)

Here is the PP3 file that was generated when Rawtherapee exported its JPEG:

Rawtherapee-NeutralProfile-AfterDarktable.jpg.out.pp3 (10.1 KB)

@justin upload your 32-bit TIFF using https://filebin.net/

You can also try the denoising in RawTherapee. I prefer it to DarkTable’s denoising, actually.

For chroma noise, RT actually profiles the image itself automatically.
And for luma noise, it is a manual adjustment, but it works rather well.

If I change the exposure compensation to +1.00 in Rawtherapee, the resulting exposure matches Darktable. However, the white balance is still off and the shadows/highlights are shifted as well.

Supposing I find one set of setting to restore: exposure, white balance, and shadows/highlights for all my images, I still won’t trust Rawtherapee will not be changing other settings sometime in the future.

Is Rawtherapee capable of changing only noise?

please send us the tiff as @Morgan_Hardwood asked earlier. without that, we can’t tell what’s going on…

Done.

https://filebin.net/jzldgmwozagx5xmf

TIFFReadDirectory: Warning, Unknown field with tag 18246 (0x4746) encountered.
TIFFReadDirectory: Warning, Unknown field with tag 18249 (0x4749) encountered.
TIFFReadDirectory: Warning, Unknown field with tag 36867 (0x9003) encountered.
TIFFReadDirectory: Warning, Unknown field with tag 18246 (0x4746) encountered.
TIFFReadDirectory: Warning, Unknown field with tag 18249 (0x4749) encountered.
TIFFReadDirectory: Warning, Unknown field with tag 36867 (0x9003) encountered.
Informations of "/tmp/DarkTable-32Bit.tif":
   No DefaultScale value!
   No BaselineExposure value!
   No LinearResponseLimit value!
   No minimum value!
   No maximum value!

Those values are not taken into account, the image data are normalized to a [0;1] range

Ping @Hombre

What is the question ?

1 Like

What is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

3 Likes

42?

2 Likes

I put comments in the code to make things self-explanatory. I obviously failed to that.

@justin @Morgan_Hardwood The TIFF image you uploaded has no metadata which would specify the range of the data it contains. As such, RawTherapee normalizes the data into the [0-1] range. The alternative would be to clip to the [0-1] range which would mean you would lose the highlight information in that image (for reference, in your file, the maximum is a red value of 1.41876).

Loading the image with the same rendering than Gimp would be easy. It is clear that DT produced an output image with unbounded data, that we don’t support yet. That’s why it scale the data even thought the tiff tag would be there.

1 Like

Thank you. So I cannot export from Darktable and open immediately with Rawtherapee without clipping/scaling.

Are you saying that I can export from Darktable, open in Gimp, export from GIMP, and then open in Rawtherapee? Such that Gimp would “translate” the metadata to eliminate data clipping/scaling?

No, putting Gimp in-between is useless

RT film clip highlights anyway, but there might be a solution : HL recovery on raw images seem to allow values beyond the limit.