RawTherapee power buttons: why are they not always employed

I dunno, I have never been confused by the power buttons for more than 10 minutes when they were first implemented.

Once they were, it was kind of the godsend I didn’t know I needed, making it much quicker to see which tools are being applied, when scrolling through different panels, also for quick disable/re-enabling of effects for judging before and after without having to toggle the before and after. So I have had no confusion here, only years of making beautiful images. :slight_smile:

u/heckflosse: Though I agree, that some tools, which currently don’t have a power button, deserve one (e.g. raw ca-correction and some other tools in raw tab)

Agreed, my only stance on improvement echos earlier opinions. All or near all modules should have a power button, so that it is clear if a tool is being applied at a glance, and to make it really intuitive what processing is being applied, especially for new users. Yes I think even the exposure and demosaicing modules should have a power button. Rawtherapee already has an option for demosaicing being disabled anyway through the dropdown menu, so disabling demosaicing as an option through de-powering doesn’t seem like a leap to me, correct me if I’m wrong. Also, seeing a power on icon next to the demosaicing tool and having it always on, even when a neutral processing profile is implied could make it more illustrative to beginners that demosaicing is an integral part of the processing pipeline that is virtually always on.

An icon for an always on feature is a bit much, going from vague to being redundant. Depending on which tools are within the ▼ groups, we might need a partially powered icon.

To be truthful, now I kind of changed my opinion on demosaicing, but I still think having the power buttons are a good idea that should be implemented on more tools, though I acknowledge that this is low priority.