Rawtherapee seems by far sharper than darktable

Showing results of different crops/magnifications/(maybe even lens corrections) is confusing.
Also the OP RT version had more than CS enabled (usm sharpening, wavelets), while the result of my last post had only CS enabled

1 Like

In my experience for the majority of images a 5x5 kernel (which is used in RT up to sigma 0.84) is enough.
There are rare cases (for example shots at >= F22) where a sigma > 0.84 is needed.

I was agreeing with you on the CS for sure and I think it is just his screen shot because when I load his PP3 it looks way less exposed…more like yours so it could just be a web thing

OP image with their sidecar

This doesn’t match to me with what they posted originally…maybe just my eyes…

To be honest I didn’t try the pp3 sidecar of OP, I only looked at its settings using a text editor :wink:

That doesnt look like RT :wink: Is that your vulkan project??

yes, but it’s still kinda ingo’s code. i just ported it to glsl.

The sigma I used was the one from automatic calculation, for which I still can’t explain why it works, you know :wink:

But I’m still working on it :slight_smile:

For sure just noticed the interface in your screen shot…

Here’s a comparison. All from RT

Top left: no sharpening at all
Bottom left: RT Capture Sharpening
Top Right: RT Capture Sharpening + a small amount of USM
Bottom Right: RT Capture Sharpening + a small amount of USM + Microcontrast

Edit: for the bottom right (with microcontrast enabled) I would like to mention that in the RT pipeline Microcontrast is applied before USM. So USM enhances the effect of Microcontrast. Would be worth a try to change the order of both in RT pipeline…

2 Likes

Have DT devs ever spoken about porting RT’s capture sharpening? It can make such an amazing difference.

1 Like
1 Like

Good and funny example: that cherub (or whatever it is) is definitely wincing at the glare of the sun now!

1 Like

I think there might be a Lua script??

We don’t need it, I have better.

Diffuse and sharpen module. Using second order partial derivative equations of anisotropic heat transfer in wavelets space. Also works for dehazing or increasing local contrast. Has 2 different ways of avoiding edges to prevent halos.

It’s kind of slow, though.

The same algo can do:

1. surface blur (just with different parameters):

2. Blooming:

3. Dehazing

4. Inpainting (although just on small parts and I don’t reproduce the results of the litterature).

5 Likes

Certainly looks capable of some heavy lifting. Love that bloom too.

More subtle sharpening (similar to the RT results in the first post) is also possible! IMO @anon41087856’s is a little overdone.

1 Like

One thing to take into account is I used the OP XMP, which overdoes the black thresholding. It still looks good zoomed at full-picture level, and I would advise against pixel peeping to setup this kind of algo (unless you need to assess the technical perf of the algo – but that’s not retouching anymore), since nobody goes into museums with a magnifying glass to count the number of threads of the canvas…

1 Like

Another version using diffuse/sharpen but also using the details masking (which is available in darktable 3.6) to exclude the sky. Still not perfect for the pixel-peepers but I’m still getting my head around this module:

Either way, this module is magic, especially now it has OpenCL support.

1 Like

Agreed

The dark horizontal line between sunlight and shadow towards the bottom of the image is easy to catch without pixel peeping, though without having used the module, I’d assume that can be avoided. Most instagrammers probably wouldn’t notice it, but this is pixls :wink: