RawTherapee vs Darktable

You can actually control sliders in RT with mouse wheel if you press shift down.

2 Likes

Thank you :smiley:

I use Darktable for a few month now and only had a brief look at Rawtherapee because I came across a *.pp3 file and even hat to look up what software that belonged too.

What I noticed about RT:

• The menu structure is much cleaner
  • The curves are larger, hence easier to work with
  • The Channel Mixer, which is, sorry, really pathetic in Darktable und pretty much impossible to use for color channels (need to start new instances, moving between them often deletes one or several others). RT has all on one screen

Is it possible to use both? Like, starting a RAW with DT, saving it as TIFF and do something with RT or will I lose quality.

(For my scanned Tiff I will probably use GIMP)

I’ve been a born again RawTherapee fan for several years now. For what ever masking I do I edit the same image three or four times with RawTherapee and ship the results off to Gimp. Once Gimp has those 3 or 4 versions coming from RawTherapee I do layer masking (when called for) and detail tweaking–using Gimp. I’m a happy camper.

But I recently (because of a thread here) found the wonderful Harry Durgin videos on youtube. And he uses Darktable. So now I’m trying to learn new tricks.

I wouldn’t try to make a cost benefit analysis between Darktable and RawTherapee without at least becoming familiar with Harry Durgin’s work first. The following link is just one of many.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1RRaXbnixQ

1 Like

What is this feature? is it in the rawpedia?

From the 5.4 release notes:

New histogram matching tool, to have RawTherapee automatically adjust the image for you to match the out-of-camera look with a single click of a button.

1 Like

where is this witchcraft :stuck_out_tongue: I gotta find this

1 Like

I haven’t written that article yet, but so far it’s mentioned here:
http://rawpedia.rawtherapee.com/Sidecar_Files_-_Processing_Profiles#Defaults

1 Like

@Morgan_Hardwood @paperdigits okay thanks! so otherwise it’s just the button under Saturation in the RGB section that says “Auto-Matched Tonecurve”. I never use it so I never really bothered to read up on it. Always sortof assumed it would be an auto-levels and curves thing where RT decides what would look good :stuck_out_tongue: Well now that I know I was wrong, and know what it does, odds are I’ll probably still use my own curves, but I’m gladder for knowing :slight_smile:

Thanks guys for the effort; this is another great tool which gives us the freedom of choice which Lightroom does not.

I find the auto matched tone curve invaluable when I don’t want to do a lot of editing.

3 Likes

@paperdigits now does the function also cover RGB? - probably not; but could it :stuck_out_tongue: and to have it match up to the tones of another image of your choice.

I know I’m going pretty far out with this; but I’m picturing applying some editing to the raw file (only curves and RGB curves); then save as JPG and have RT match it :stuck_out_tongue:

Unless you’ve shot under the same lighting conditions, it won’t work as well as you think. You could do this with a LUT as well, which RT already supports.

1 Like

Sweet jeebus @pittendrigh - That guy has some insane techniques, never seen anything like it thanks so much for sharing!

Most darktable videos I see are overly simplistic and aren’t much help.

I just go through the Harry Durgin’s work. Learned a lot and thank you to you for sharing this.