Reading external drives

Hello. I’m new to darktable, but comfortable in all photo processing software on the Mac. Running OS 10.15.5 (beta) and 10.15.4 on a 2019 iMac 5K i9 and a 2019 MacBook Pro i9. I’ve installed darktable, but am unable to get it to locate any of the external drives or RAID arrays where I keep 9 TB of photos. I’ve seen other questions here and am wondering if this limitation still exists in v 3.0.2? If so, is a resolution anywhere nearby, or is this a restriction that will persist indefinitely. I like the idea of using Open Source software, but only if it solves a problem I have.

Welcome aboard…you might find this post pinned earlier today useful:

Where are you looking for the files? They should be under /Volumes/disk-name

The /Volumes/diskname paradigm doesn’t find any external drives using darktable. It only recognizes the boot volume, which is not where the images are stored.

Where are the drives mounted on your file system?

They are mounted on boot from the main boot drive and they all show up on the desktop, readily accessible to all other programs, the minute the startup routine has finished. It may be a security issue. When other programs needed initial access to the drives, I had to give the executable “full disk access”. That maybe the problem here. I’m done for the night, but will try in the am.

Perhaps @MStraeten can shed some light here, he’s been making macos builds of darktable.

i don’t have issues with mounted usb drives and NAS drives (connected via afp://…) on Catalina 10.15.4. They’re listed at /Volumes with the same name they appear on the desktop.

1 Like

the issue is resolved once System Preferences-Privacy-Full Disk Access is allowed for darktable. Without that permission, none of the external drives show up under Volumes. But it is a trivial fix. Thanks for the help.

1 Like