Reasons the app isn't running well on Windows

Absolutely. Just found the way the heading/category info read, taken together. No harm intended, and sorry if it appeared that way.

I was going to write about these things sooner or later. I already talked about the two items implicitly. To the first point, I guess I should have written it in the first time to make sure that I am not misleading the masses. The guide I linked to also has a warning but I should not rely on that.

Thanks for your feedback @darix.

According to many - or all - reliable tests, Microsoft’s integrated antivirus slows the system down more than any other solution. This is why I am using one of the free lightweight programs, that can be further optimized and are still also better security wise.

@Jacal Yeah, the transition from Window 7 to 10 was an eye opener. The system performance suffered a lot in part due to Defender. I noticed the slowdowns, even with a clean and updated copy of Windows 10. And that was after I disabled all of the unnecessary spyware, ads, nagging and useless components. Windows as a service and your friendly OS my foot! Windows 10 was marketed to use less system resources and to be much faster than Window 7… sigh.

Just to mention, Windows 7 “support” ends with the end of this year. The free transition to Windows 10 is still available. It might be better than nothing.
I have had my PC and my laptop in dual-boot mode for over a year, to learn, what is still missing for a Linux-only approach. (Some games only, actually. I don’t do games any more, but would still like to keep the gamer status. We, the gamers, are young badass people.)
Dual-boot means more work to maintain the “systems”, so I am back on Windows-only. (Linux on virtual machines, though.)
The next PC will be build for Linux, but it is hard to declare an old machine obsolete nowadays. After some upgrades, like a SSD system disk and a better graphic card, the old rig works fine. Even with Win10 installed on top of Win7.
(A clean Win10 installation will probably make the system even more sleek.)

At one point, virtualisation was good but now it takes too much work and resources. Yes, a clean installation is much better. Dual boot is not to my taste because I love to multitask. When I boot into one OS, I feel like I have a ghost limb.

@Jacal May I ask which free AV are you using?

Avast, I’m used to it. With some features disabled (“cybercapture”, “hardened mode”, browser plugin). Avira usually also offers decent protection with small impact on system, but I see it didn’t do well on the last performance test.

personally I dont have much of a problem with defender.

Me neither, on the other hand I have had issues with other AV products, both gratis and paid for.

I have been intending to migrate to Linux for a long time now, however, I have so few issues with Windows that it’s difficult to get motivated to make the switch.

There is at least one technical reason, why some applications performe worse on Windows than on Linux. This can have a significat impact on speed especially if small functions are not inlined:

Linux allows more registers to be used to transfer values on function calls than Windows (see here for reference):

2 Likes

In the defense of defender no issues here either. Chrome is quite a RAM hog though.

This said, my home PC has 8Gb, that can get a bit tight. Office PC has 16Gb and feels faster (almost identical hardware).

Darktable is still fast though, even with my poor quality scans in 16bit TIFF that have about 130Mb.

Going 16Gb RAM would make sense but I hesitate to invest money in 3 year old hardware (strangely, my notebook, i5 8gen, 8Gb doesn’t feel faster)

Looks like it isn’t Defender’s fault after all or the exceptions worked. Here is the latest unzipping screenshot just before its completion. As you can see, it starts off at a snails pace. I have come to accept this and do something else while it is decompressing.

I think another good place to check (that is, if this hasn’t been mentioned yet) is the Internet Options…for instance, I just realized I didn’t have gimp on the trusted sites page!! (very important!)

It is an already downloaded file though…

oops, lol, tells you how tech savvy I am! but I’m trying everything since my issues with the newest gimp (keeps crashing) and I just had a bunch of new uploads for windows

Still having issues are you? I am thinking it might be more to do with your system than the installation. Have you tried a portable GIMP? I.e., requires no installation: just extract to a folder. I may have suggested this before, if you use Windows, try this https://www.partha.com/downloads/GIMP/Gimp-2.10.12-64bit-portable.exe.

1 Like

so will this take large images, like the downloaded version?

Yes it will.

1 Like

well okay then. But I have a pc guy that I’m going to have a look at my pc…obviously there’s an issue.

It should run without uninstalling 2.10.14.