rebooting color balance

With feature freeze for the next release coming up, we are concentrating on the code for now. Documentation will follow soon.

2 Likes

5 posts were split to a new topic: Language and culture in decyphering art

Documentation has arrived: darktable 3.6 user manual - color balance rgb

12 Likes

" It [color balance rgb] is not suited for beginners with no prior knowledge of color theory, who might want to stick to the global chroma and global vibrance settings"

I struggle with colours in general and it doesn’t help being colour blind in red and green so I’ve found the above incredibly helpful.

Is the longer term aim to depreciate colour balance with only colour balance rgb being kept? Some of the ways of working for colour balance rgb are quite different, so many users will need to rethink the way they do things.
This question may have been asked somewhere on this thread, but I must confess to not having read all 244 posts…

Can you elaborate?

For example, contrast in colour balance rgb produces very different results to that in colour balance and doesn’t have a fulcrum point. [correction I think fulcrum is on another panel in later development versions]
There isn’t the input and output saturation, so you will need more than one instance of the module if you wanted to slightly desaturate the image then add a tint.
Perhaps these are just small things and due to technical reasons that I haven’t grasped… May also be explained somewhere in one of the 244 posts…

When this module was announced I had the same fears. In the meantime they added a lot of features, widened the boundaries of the sliders and I don’t want to miss it now. Especially the masks tab is very nice :grinning:.

And if you compare contrast: colorbalancergb doesn’t hue shift colours in the way colorbalance does. You can test it yourself with the vectorscope and this test-image (best to see if you switch off any tonemappers first, watch the blue and orange vector while you change contrast) : https://discuss.pixls.us/uploads/short-url/gbhj5KOl26YR7s1QwGuimA6TX8C.cr2

1 Like

@pass712, thanks, now that I have read the new manual entry properly, I can see how it works, and look forward to using it.

1 Like

@s7habo may I use your last 2 pictures as showcase for the FR translation of the dt 3.6 release post ?

From the manual:
While color balance RGB is mostly about color (other modules handle the global contrast in chromaticity-preserving ways)

The modules being:
filmic rgb?
tone equalizer?
?

exactly.

1 Like

Whenever you need it. It is a pleasure for me! :tophat:

If you need other photos, motifs or screenshots, please contact me! I would like to help you there.

1 Like

Thanks a lot !

I’m looking for dramatic showcases of the before/after edit with color
balance RGB. I expect a bit of a backlash due to the complexity of the module, so showing what it can do for you is the best counter-attack.

5 Likes

Challenge accepted! :ok_hand: :+1:

1 Like

First batch

Raw:

Contrast and saturation (master tab):

color grading 1 (4 ways tab):

color grading 2 (4 ways tab):

15 Likes

Second batch

Raw:

Contrast and saturation (master tab):

color grading 1 - evening light - (4 ways tab):

color grading 2 - moonshine - (4 ways tab):

22 Likes

@s7habo very cool, thanks ! I think I have what I need.

1 Like

Always a pleasure to watch Boris work!

10 Likes

It may have lots of features but they are very logically laid out - as a basic user I found it just as easy (perhaps easier) to use as the existing colour balance module. Beginners probably won’t need to touch the third masks tab until they have delved deeper. So hopefully not too much of a backlash…