rebooting color balance

LOL No I’m not a programmer/developer.

I used to be a sysadmin and have a background in, mainly, Fault tolerant systems and worked with Tandem/HP (Himalaya)NonStop , Stratus/Lucent FTX, normal proprietary UNIX systems and some Linux based systems. So I like computers, know my way around them and picked up a few things along the way :slight_smile: Things progress fast though, all my knowledge is basically pre VMs (virtual machines).

I started with DOS, then Windows 3.1, and it’s been Windows ever since. Only through help from people on this forum have I learned what little I know about github. It’s a learning process.

Added options to setup the checkerboard color and size, since it seems users have had trouble reading the matte:

You can also turn the checkerboard into a solid color.

3 Likes

I have moved the sliders around but I am still not sure I can read the display correctly. I believe it is designed to show a map of the area defined as shadows, highlights or mids…but switching between and also trying to use extreme values I could not follow exactly how to use it…I am sure it is me but at the moment I don’t get it…maybe when this gets merged…

Well, IBM’s VM(/CMS) came out it 1972; there’s nothing new under the Sun. :slight_smile: (Not that Sun, but the other).

3 Likes

Yeah, that’s a truism. It runs directly on hardware as well. Don’t think many people are aware of that though :smile:

I haven’t tried this new version yet, I meant the module in general. I am able to achieve very subtle color changes in a way I really like.

Yeah, sit tight for doc and video. Meanwhile, enjoy the pretty pictures (first : scene-referred defaults, second : fully color graded through color calibration, tone EQ and color balance RGB) :smiley:

19 Likes

Nice I think it was the middle gray map that I couldn’t figure out but I thought I saw that you said it’s global which might make more sense now that I think about it…

Aurelien, is it possible you could post up the xmp for the graded magnolia image please? Would like to see what you did. (I’m not asking for the raw)

Sure : Shoot Minh-Ly Magnolia-0036-DSC_0036.NEF.xmp (74,5 Ko)

Thanks. Yes, I’ll need to wait for the video etc!
I see the third section is now “perceptual brilliance grading” (comparing with my 14 Feb build) and now the sliders don’t make the image significantly brighter. I think that’s good - I found myself having to adjust Exposure previously.

Curious, there’s a way to parse the xmp without the raw? Or are you just reading it as text?

You can apply any XMP on any raw you want, it doesn’t have to be the original one (of course, the drawn masks will not have the proper position, but I guess here the purpose is to reverse-engineer the step-by-step history).

1 Like

Very quietly , under his breath, he says “looks like we are getting our shadows and highlights module back again”

Hmm I guess, although it’s not really the same feature, nor the same goal, and certainly not the same color science.

Very nice job!

I’m still testing but I think I’m starting to get it.

before:

after:

before:

after:

19 Likes

You must have clicked on the “inject life into the image” button.

3 Likes

That’s good to hear. Right now I’m trying to parse out the features between Color Calibration and Color Balance RGB.

In addition to CAT and the RGB mixer, you also have input channel colorfulness and brightness on CC. And in CC RGB we have linear chroma, perceptual saturation and brilliance (was purity in a prior incarnation) as well as the slope/offset/power and hue/chroma adjustments in the four-way tab. Trying to understand which seemingly similar functions to use when and for what is making my brain hurt.

That’s ok… no pain no gain, but I look forward to learning more from the docs and video.

2 Likes

No, I have only used science-based medicine. No magic there. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes