Recommended way to recreate Fuji Film Emulations?

Neat stuff guys. I am sure that lots of Fuji shooters would love it if this could be made bullet proof… Makes you wonder if it could become a generalized model to be setup for other camera’s to implement the in camera profiles there as well… Even if it is a niche thing its cool… I don’t have a fuji camera…maybe one day but I will follow with interest…

Sorry to be a bit off-topic. @bastibe I tried your lut-maker to create a LUT for Nikon files. It is coming a bit closer, but I guess the problem is that the pixels are not perfectly aligned. When I use the Nikon raw converter to create target images, the images already include lens corrections which cannot be turned off. The darktable lens corrections are not the same. Do you know if there is a good way to align the images and learn the correction matrix from an image pair?

Edit:
I tried again, I used Hugin to align the pictures. It already brings a big improvement for the LUT. The result is much closer than the default darktable profile. But still quite far off, the colors seem all very muted in comparison the the Nikon jpg.

I shot my training set with an adapted manual lens, to make sure there are no corrections whatsoever. Good idea with Hugin, though!

Using a manual lens is an even better idea, although for that I’d have to shoot many more photos in different environments.

How many pictures do you usually use and do the profile improve with greater amounts of pictures?

A different question: Do you think it is possible to integrate these LUTs into a DCP profile, so that they can also be used by other software that does not support 3D-LUTs?

My current training set includes some 400 pictures, although that’s actually made up from 80 exposure series of five each. The important bit is to cover all colors. I include a few pictures of test charts, especially continuous ones (instead of ones with individual color fields), photographed from a computer screen. The most difficult colors to obtain are highly saturated ones.

Instead of manual lenses, a very strong blur might also work. Perhaps by intentionally misfocusing. This will decrease the number of extreme samples, though. I’d have to experiment with that.

Really ideally, you’d fake a raw file to include all the required color fields for the LUT. That way you wouldn’t even need to shoot anything at all. But I haven’t found the time to figure out how to do that.

In theory, you could embed these LUTs into an ICC profile. However, I find that the default renderings of different raw converters are sufficiently different that a single LUT really doesn’t apply to more than one developer anyway. In fact, I re-generate my LUTs for every version of darktable, to account for the differences between e.g. filmic v5 and v6 and sigmoid.

I wonder if it might not be easier to use the lookup table module instead. I’m currently experimenting with that.

2 Likes