Reconstructing blown highlights

All new hlr stuff is for Bayer and xtrans. Linear raws only have opposed available…

1 Like

@hannoschwalm Thanks for the info. Excuse my ignorance, but where would linear raws be found? Would that be DNG files or similar?

For example raw files converted to dng. Basically all files that have rgb data per pixel but require color coefficients to be applied.

Something like what comes out of DXO I think…has demosaicing and denoising and lens corrections ??

Yet so many perfectly exposed photos have large areas of blown highlights. The raw processing software should do a good job by default.

Download the raw file for this photo: Sony 35mm F1.4 GM sample gallery (DPReview TV): Digital Photography Review. Open it in Darktable, then open it in Capture One.

That is a tough and interesting image…feel free to share what you are trying to describe… or asserting…

Without much effort you can even get some details back in DT…but lightroom and the jpg just leave it entirely blown… no idea about C1…

Simple answer , try highlight reconstruction first. There have been major improvements there that will land in 4.2, then for sure try there first.

I’d you then have issues with the filmic highlights still looking wrong or not smooth enough , use filmics reconstruction tab to smooth them over . Often setting the threshold around the 0ev mark (just under) and play with the bloom slider and the gray/colorful slider.

Edit: oh, and in the highlights reconstruction module, the ‘clip’ option is not worth your time. I’d that’s all you have , disable it and try with filmics reconstruction.

2 Likes

Tone eq is useful on top of what you mentioned to help manage the final look… esp if the blown highlights are really not actually blown but pushed there by processing…

1 Like