recover ooc jpeg detail/sharpness from raw with darktable

IMG_1946.CR2.xmp (9.7 KB)

1 Like

So this and/or a reworked color zones ??

There is a nice tool in Picture WIndow Pro 8.

Its a cube. You can select and mark colors to be left alone as you edit others but more over you can select multiple colors and just drag them in the 3-D cube. The initial select places a black dot or white dot I cant recall and then as you drag it draws a small directional line and then the dot is inverted to show its modifiedā€¦I donā€™t think there is a limit on the number of points . You can even select and drag a point to neutral for a color castā€¦ I think its coolā€¦I like the split opacity slider too. Its interesting that you can apply the same affect to the masked and unmasked area if you like just to a lesser degree of course the default is 0 and 100 percent.

Bit off topic again I guessā€¦

Iā€™m late in the game , my playraw using darktable 3.8

IMG_1946.CR2.xmp (10.2 KB)

7 Likes

At the risk of committing heresy, I like to use Color Zones towards the end of my edit sessions. I understand that you can get weird results if pushed too hard, but I find it a lot easier to use over parametric masks if I just want to tweak a certain color.

I think my biggest use for it is with the autopickerā€¦I find it is nice for quick desaturationsā€¦esp on skin. If the picture looks mostly right but the skin has a cast I have often used shift clicking to auto desaturateā€¦I must admit now I try the hue rotations in RBG CB for this first but I have resorted to itā€¦esp say for old jpg snap with bad saturationā€¦

I also have few presets to tweak foliage. I find that trees and plants often come out with green colors that I donā€™t recall being accurate or to my likingā€¦

Too many good programs out there. Started out with filmulator, film area max, drama 40. Export as tiff, then some curve adjustment, saturation and contrast in rawstudio, export as tiff and rounding off with lens deblur medium and sharpen demosaicing (AAfilter) in darktable.

1 Like

I think it is one of the modules that should be ported to scene referred ā€” there is no intrinsic reason it wasnā€™t (I think), it just hasnā€™t happened yet.

2 Likes

Trying to match the reference JPEG as close as possible (minus the red shift in the hair):

IMG_1946.CR2.xmp (11,6 Ko)

Itā€™s only D&S with masking.

2 Likes

Thanks. Which preset (if any) is this close to? [Still learning my way around D&S].

Deblur hard, radius = 12 px, iterations = 64. But itā€™s in the XMP anyway.

1 Like

5 Likes

For me, a new scene-referred module that incorporates the best of color lookup table and color zones would be on my wishlist. The patch system of CLUT can be a bit clunky but the ability to select the colour once and have sliders for hue, saturation and lightness all in one place is much more user friendly than color zoneā€™s system of needing to work on HSL independently. However, the curve based system of color zones can be really nice sometimes.

1 Like