Recovering corrupted .nef files

@Narayan I once experienced a corrupt SD card after camping and hiking up mountains in Italy’s Dolomites region. The SD card cost just ~35EUR, but the trip and the sweat were essentially priceless. I used http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk to recover what could be recovered. Next, I used Adobe DNG Converter in batch mode to convert all the recovered files (Pentax PEF format) to DNG. I did that to filter out the hopelessly corrupt files from the usable ones. You could try that.

Never use the partition which contains the corrupted or deleted files! Don’t boot from it, don’t use it. Recover to a separate partition, preferably to separate disk if dealing with corruption (recovering to a separate partition on the same disk should be safe if dealing with deleted files, but dangerous when dealing with corrupted files/partitions/volumes/disks).

Hi everyone, sorry for the late reply, but I wanted to thank you all for your efforts! I went with Thomas Do’s suggested tool, and this worked fine for me. Thank you!

I decided to get rid of the MacBook and the sd card, to make sure this doesn’t happen anymore.

2 Likes

I have corrupted NEF files from a Nikon D7500 I am desperately trying to open. It looks like your pre-script won’t work with this model camera. Do you have anything that would work? I would be SO SO grateful. I am a total noob when it comes to this kind of data recovery. :sob:

@ClaytonJW Welcome to the forum! Have you read the whole thread? There is lots of useful info.

1. As I said above, the most important thing is to stop using the corrupted card or disk and make a bit-by-bit copy of it into an image on a separate piece of hardware. That way you would remove the chance for further corruption due to failing hardware.

2. If you don’t mind, sharing a raw file here (just drag and drop into the editor) is probably the best way to show us the sort of problem you are encountering. It is up to you of course, but it would certainly help us find a solution to your issue, which may potentially be very simple.

Adobe DNG Converter worked for me for corrupted files (accidentally deleted and then recovered from an SD card).
http://rawpedia.rawtherapee.com/How_to_convert_raw_formats_to_DNG

Hi everyone! I’m new here, and trying to recover some corrupt .NEF files. The NEF files are files that were pulled from a Seagate external drive that was accidentally wiped. I got a lot of stuff back, but have these weird .NEF files that won’t open in lightroom or preview in Finder. (I’m using Mac OS 10.14 Mojave). The files are from a D800.

I’ve already tried the remedy listed above at the website http://owl.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/fix_corrupted_nef_win.zip. It says it completes successfully, but the copied file is just another NEF that won’t open.

I’ve also tried the Adobe DNG Converter, but out of ~900 files, only two successfully converted.

Is there any hope or another solution to hopefully get these files back? Luckily all client work was not lost, but sadly these are all personal photos from this past summer’s travels with my kiddo. We went on a couple adventures together to celebrate my being done with cancer treatments, and I would just love to still have the photos, although I’m starting to think I’ll just have to be happy with what I have. :confused: I recovered about 25% of them, but would love to get more, if at all possible. Thanks for all the above help that’s already been provided!

Hi @krista and welcome! If you still have the drive, you could try running PhotoRec, otherwise I’d be helpful to post a sample nef file.

Oh, thanks so much! I haven’t tried PhotoRec, yet. I used the Seagate Recovery software to actually recover the deleted files, and the nef file that’s attached (thanks for reminding me to attach! I meant to do that in my original reply) is an example of the files it spit out. FileNEF-0083.nef (27.4 MB)

Opens fine in nomacs 3.12 and in darktable 2.50-git1029.51b67169b
Nice capture!

Thanks for the compliment, martin.scharnke! I literally have no idea which photo that might be. :wink: I’m intrigued (and hopeful) about the fact that you can open it! I’m installing darktable now. I’ll keep you posted. Thank you all so much for your help!

@krista I am glad that you have completed your treatments and was able to celebrate with your child. Must be an amazing feeling!

Seagate Recovery won’t recover everything. For the troublesome files, you might try a more dedicated and inevitably complicated app. PhotoRec is definitely on the more extreme and time consuming end of the spectrum. But if you are willing to put in the time, you could save thousands of dollars that a service might otherwise charge you.

The key thing that I have noted several times in this thread and others is to try and backup bit-by-bit your entire drive to another device. This is because the more you power and run this drive the more likely it will continue to overwrite your lost data. After you back up, use the second device to examine your recovered files. Does that make sense?

@martin.scharnke they opened in darktable! Yay! Thanks so much! This particular batch is, unfortunately, not the images I was hoping for. But I still have about 12,000 mystery images to sift through, so I’m hopeful I will find them!

@afre - thanks for the info! I will definitely look into PhotoRec to see if it can get more files out for me. And I’ve definitely done the backup process you’re recommending. (Using a new drive to sift through the recovered files.)

Thank you SO SO much for all the helpful ideas/options on this page. You’re all saving my sanity!

While helping @Brenda here, I came across an interesting app. Thought I might link it here as well, since this is the master thread: GitHub - ImpulseAdventure/JPEGsnoop: JPEGsnoop: JPEG decoder and detailed analysis.