Release of G'MIC 1.6.9

Agreed about some way of seeing what’s new :+1:

Hey David,

Several of my custom presets cause G’MIC GIMP plugin to crash and it won’t open again until either I edit my preset file with that preset out or close and re-open GIMP. Engrave and Cartoon are among my custom presets that crash. When I went to the default engrave preset it appeared to work fine so not sure what is caused G’MIC plugin to crash. Going back to the alpha pre-release for now. :slight_smile:

Well; couldn’t go back to the pre-release since it’s no longer available apparently. Went back to 1.6.8. All’s well now. Not sure what could be causing 1.6.9 to be buggy for me since the pre-release was stable. :slight_smile:

For now, it’s not possible.
The Search filter is a kind of hack : it is itself a filter, it has not been coded as a feature integrated in the user interface. You can still add it to your favorite to make it appear on the top of the filter tree each time you run G’MIC though.
Same answer for having ‘new’ filters displaying. There is no easy mechanism to isolate ‘new’ filters for each user. All filters are usually announced in the G+ stream of G’MIC : https://plus.google.com/+GMIC_software/posts

That is probably frustrating to read that, but I’m not sure for how long the plug-in for GIMP will be maintained. The next step is probably to create separate GEGL nodes from each G’MIC filter, and in that case, filter searching should be rather done via the GIMP search engine directly.

Lyle: Yes, I’ve noticed that too, that’s why the 1.6.9 release has been postponed. Working on a fix, but this seems to happen only on Windows, so that could make more time (debugging the plug-in under Windows is a real pain).

Thanks for the update David. Just call me an insomniac (since it’s just about 2am now here; lol). Yeah; noticed you didn’t advertise the upodate at GIMPChat. I’ll keep this announcement to myself for now. :slight_smile:

Hello David, the Fav trick works well. The file .config/gmic/gimp_faves is created when a user favs a filter for the first time, isn’t it? Perhaps there is a possibility to create that file when the gmic plugin is installed (of course with the Search filters entry in it)?

You’re not saying that your involvement with the GIMP plugin is going to stop, I hope?

Hello Paul. But don’t you think it’s better to let the user add it on their favorites instead of forcing him having it on the top of the filter tree if he doesn’t want to?

No no, just that I probably won’t write additional code specifically for the plug-in, like a well-integrated search engine for instance :slight_smile: The plug-in code itself requires very few maintenance, as it has been working quite well for years now. Sometimes I do some small fixes on it, but nothing hard to do.

Perhaps it’s better indeed not to force. Mention this fav-tip in the ‘Search filters’ page perhaps?
I added this remark to the introduction to G’MIC on my photo palace.

Okay, so we can continue to use G’MIC within GIMP? Good to hear!

• 02/05/2016: Final release !
1 Like

Just noticed your post at GIMPChat, David. Installed the new version and it appears all is well now. Thanks. :slight_smile:

… and the mac built is prepared too!

See Gimp Chat for changes!

1 Like

Noticed strange behavior with what appears to be only Make Squiggly when you choose active and below option (if you want to run this operation on two different layers). It merges the layer and gives a strange result. If you just run it on one layer, all appears well. I did try other presets without issue, so this may not be worth even addressing. Just strange; could have been an issue for a long time now, but just now I tried to do this as a shortcut (been doing tesla type renders of late). :slight_smile:

Hi Garagecoder, a question about the Tone enhance filter. I use it on the GIMP plugin and I find it very useful, but when I try to run it from the command line I get an error “Unknown command or filename ‘-gcd_tone_enhance’”
Is this the right command or it is not possible to run it from the command line?

That’s because it’s not part of “standard” gmic, so you need to get the update file.

I’m not sure if this works in the version you’re commenting on (1.6.9) but in release 1.7.5 you can download the update file from command line:

gmic -update

Then the next time you run gmic it will load it automatically, which should make the command available :smile:

I’m running 1.7.3 and I get a *** Error *** Command ‘-update’ : Unreachable update file.
I have an update on .config/gmic/gimp_update173.gmic that has this filter, but maybe is only used for the GIMP plugin

The update mechanism changed in 1.7.5. You need this version in order to get online updates.

That was it, I installed 1.7.5 and now is working. Thanks!

My pleasure.