Release of G'MIC 1.7.9

Mission accomplished!

Cheers!

1 Like

Thanks Thorsten !

Appears to be another broken preset. Hardsketch with fast approxmiation enabled gives solid black or solid white result depending on option chosen of course. I use this to render grid graphic type renders on occasion and was going to do one when I found this out. Just a head’s up, David. :slight_smile:

Thanks Lyle, I’ll fix that ASAP.

Noticed that it no longer gives a solid black color but the result is no longer the same like it use to be. Below’s an example of how I used the fast setting. Maybe too late to get that type of result back. Hope it’s not. :slight_smile:

flower | Using the old b/w hardsketch. :) | lylejk | Flickr

edit:

Just as a head’s up; figured out how to re-adjust the settings to get pretty close the squiggly result that I want. :slight_smile:

Pretty impressed with the auto-colorize lineart feature. :slight_smile:

G'MIC's new auto-fill feature. • GIMP Chat

@David_Tschumperle, Thank you for changing the behavior of the curves in Curves [interactive].

Did you change them after this discussion?:

edit: I’m not sure it changed :confused: Maybe I wish it to be changed. :slight_smile:

https://discuss.pixls.us/t/curves-tool-and-curve-points-interpolation-in-various-packages/2787

No, I don’t think I’ve changed anything lately about how the curves are handled in G’MIC.

I am getting this error with -jeje_deconvolve:

The same thing happens when I select Gold-Meinel instead of Richardson-Lucy.

Hello afre,
What version of G’MIC did you run ?
Have you tried refreshing your filter with the Update button ?
We have started working on G’MIC 1.8.0, so I’m not sure how easy this will be to fix this issue for latest stable version 1.7.9.
If you have this possibility, could you try installing the latest development snapshot of the plug-in (version 1.8.0.pre), available here : Index of /files/prerelease

Thanks.

Yes, I was using 1.7.9. I got the same error with 1.8.0pre#010317 (win64).

Ha, I’ve just realized you were talking about the Deconvolve filter that is in Testing/Jéjé !
I thought the errors were with the Details / Sharpen [gold-meinel] and Details / Sharpen [richardson-lucy] filters, which are working well for me. I get the same ‘error’ too, but I believe this is because this filter requires two layers, with the top layer being your custom estimated convolution kernel.
If you assume you don’t know your convolution kernel, then the filters to use are those in Details/ instead.

That occurred to me too but I didn’t pursue the thought before replying.

It would be great if there is a description on what is required for the
script to work; e.g., the sorts of kernels that are acceptable. In fact, I
could not tell what some of the other scripts need or do because of their
limited descriptions and documentation. I am new to G’MIC so there is much
to learn :).

Anyway, thanks for pointing out those sharpening filters. I will check them
out.

You are right about the missing documentation in many places.
Anyway, filters in Testing/ should always be considered with care, as the name of the folder suggests it !
Don’t expect to read a lot of doc for those particular filters :stuck_out_tongue:

If the code for preview is removed, this filter works. (with two layers):

In G'MIC 1.7.9:
        #@gimp Deconvolve : jeje_deconvolve, jeje_deconvolve
        #@gimp : Iterations = int(20,1,100)
        #@gimp : Algorithm = choice(0,"Richardson-Lucy","Gold-Meinel")
        #@gimp : Sep = separator(), Preview type = choice("Full","Forward horizontal","Forward vertical","Backward horizontal","Backward vertical","Duplicate top","Duplicate left","Duplicate bottom","Duplicate right")
        #@gimp : Sep = separator(), note = note{"Need two layers (top layer is the blur)<br><small>Author : <i>J&#233;r&#244;me Boulanger</i>. Latest update: <i>2016/22/02</i>.</small>"}
        jeje_deconvolve:
        -if {$2==1}
        -deconvolve_goldmeinel[0] [1],$1 -n[0] 0,255
        -else
        -deconvolve_richardsonlucy[0] [1],$1 -n[0] 0,255
        -endif

In G'MIC 1.8.0
    #@gui Deconvolve : jeje_deconvolve, jeje_deconvolve
    #@gui : Iterations = int(20,1,100)
    #@gui : Algorithm = choice(0,"Richardson-Lucy","Gold-Meinel")
    #@gui : Sep = separator(), Preview type = choice("Full","Forward horizontal","Forward vertical","Backward horizontal","Backward vertical","Duplicate horizontal","Duplicate vertical")
    #@gui : Sep = separator(), note = note{"Need two layers (top layer is the blur)<br><small>Author : <i>J&#233;r&#244;me Boulanger</i>. Latest update: <i>2016/22/02</i>.</small>"}
    jeje_deconvolve:
    -if {$2==1}
    -else
    -endif

Bottom layer must be deconvolution kernel / psf. But the algorithm takes big steps with every iteration. the image gets darker with each iteration. With goldmeinel this is worse than with richardsonlucy.

Is code like this readily available? It would give me a rough understanding of how the other filters work.

All the code is available on github.

Sorry for asking so many questions. If this is the wrong thread, let me know and I will make a new one.

I am still having trouble finding the filters listed in http://gmic.eu/gui_filters.txt on GitHub.

E.g., I tried searching for Artistic / Smooth abstract (command '-fx_smooth_abstract') using the search terms smooth abstract under dtschump/gmic-community. The closest match I could find was gmic-community/zart/presets.xml. Googling dtschump smooth abstract yielded the same result.

Is there a file in the GIMP G’MIC installation that contains all of the code for these scripts?

Hello @afre,
Actually, there are two different places where G’MIC filters are defined:

So when you are looking for the code of a particular filter, you basically have to browse these two places.

EDIT : Note that all these filters are then compiled into a single G’MIC command file, available on your drive, at $HOME/.config/gmic/update180.gmic (on Linux) and %APPDATA/gmic/update180.gmic (on Windows), but these files are a bit less readable, as they have been simplified in some way to save bytes (comments have been removed for instance).

1 Like

@afre
On my Windows system I find them in:
C:\Users\My_Name\AppData\Roaming\gmic

You can create a custom filter file: user.gmic (windows)

for G’MIC 1.7.9 , you can create the following:

#@gimp user

#@gimp Deconvolve : jeje_deconvolve, jeje_deconvolve
#@gimp : Iterations = int(20,1,100)
#@gimp : Algorithm = choice(0,"Richardson-Lucy","Gold-Meinel")
#@gimp : Sep = separator(), Preview type = choice("Full","Forward horizontal","Forward vertical","Backward horizontal","Backward vertical","Duplicate top","Duplicate left","Duplicate bottom","Duplicate right")
#@gimp : Sep = separator(), note = note{"Need two layers (top layer is the blur)<br><small>Author : <i>J&#233;r&#244;me Boulanger</i>. Latest update: <i>2016/22/02</i>.</small>"}
jeje_deconvolve:
-if {$2==1}
-else
-endif

#@gimp _

For Windows, save this text file as user.gmic and place it in:
C:\Users\My_Name\AppData\Roaming

not in …\AppData\Roaming\gmic

Then you will find the directory “user” in your filter list in gmic-gimp, between Testing and Various

In Linux, locations and names are different. Maybe someone else here can help you for linux?

1 Like