Release of G'MIC 2.0.0

Here it is : http://gmic.eu/files/linux/gmic_gimp_qt_2.0.0_manjaro64.zip
Because you’re worth it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Woohoo! thankyou :blush:
A nice present to come home to, working great!

Now applying 3DLUT.cube is not working. Output is only black image.

Interesting, could you upload the file somewhere so I can check and fix this ?

You can try this free LUT with any image.

Thanks. See also Convert .cube to png - #8 by David_Tschumperle for a discussion about this problem.
A fix is on the way :slight_smile:

sigh I just tried to install the GIMP plug-in for Windows 64-bit.

The procedure entry point could not be located in libwinpthread-1.dll

Both QT and GTK Windows 64-bit installers failed. I am running GIMP 2.8 and I hadn’t updated G’MIC since 1.7.9 so perhaps there is my problem.

I am not a programmer so please forgive my ignorance (we can’t all be experts at everything). Is it impractical to include all the required .dll files in the Windows installer? Where can end users obtain the correct .dll files?

This .dll issue is recurrent in Windows, but let me explain a bit why :

• GIMP tries to locate plug-ins in a single folder, without any recursive search, so all plug-in binaries should be put in that folder .
  • A plug-in binary that needs .dll must then install them also in the same path.
  • As a result, it may create a lot of issues because these newly installed .dll will be also used by default by the other plug-in that are located in the same folder, and if they need another version of the same .dll, then it is a mess, making some plug-in unstable or crashing.
  • So, the list of .dll G’MIC tries to install is carefully restricted to a minimal set, to avoid .dll conflicts. That is the set of .dll packaged in the installer.
  • For an unknown reason, it appears your installation of G’MIC needs some function that is not present in your current installed version of the .dll libwinpthread-1.dll. Don’t ask me me why, I couldn’t tell you, maybe you are using an old version of GIMP ? This .dll is packaged with the executable, so it should work flawlessly.

So my suggestion :

• First, uninstall your previous version of the plug-in. Be sure it is uninstalled (no older version should be put in one of the plug-in folder) before trying to install the new version.
  • Once you have double or triple checked this, try the safer way of installing the plugin : don’t use the installer but unzip the .zip archive somewhere in a separate folder (not in your plug-in folder), and go to GIMP / Preferences / Paths, and add this folder as a plug-in path for GIMP.

If this doesn’t work, then I’m afraid I cannot be of any help.
Things on Windows are always working randomly, and this is already a miracle we have succeeded to compile a version of G’MIC on this “system”.

That has been changed in git a week ago:

commit efae55a73e98389e38fa0e59ebebcda0abe3ee96
Author:     Jehan <jehan@girinstud.io>
AuthorDate: Wed May 24 12:02:52 2017 +0200
Commit:     Jehan <jehan@girinstud.io>
CommitDate: Wed May 24 17:33:15 2017 +0200

app: allow plugin inside first-level directories of plug-ins folders.

We don't search recursively but only at the first level. If a plugin is
    in its own subdirectory, the entry point has to be named the same (minus
    extension) as the directory. For instance my-plugin/my-plugin for a
    binary, or my-plugin/my-plugin.(py|exe|…).
    This way, a plugin can load shared objects (libraries, other script
    files, etc.) without polluting the main plug-ins directories, and in
    particular without interfering with other plug-ins.
    This is a first step to fix bug 757057 (DLL files which were used in
    various plugins).
1 Like

Yes I’ve seen that, and this is a really good idea :slight_smile:

Thank you, David! This explains a lot. It sounds like installing a new G’MIC on an old GIMP can generate .dll conflicts on Windows. Ironically, this year I’ve been too busy editing photos to spend time updating software. I’ve reverted to my old GIMP 2.8.14 + G’MIC 1.7.9 and I’ll leave it alone for now. Soon, when I get time to play, I’ll install a fresh 2.9 build and bring that up to date.

I usually keep two separate instances of GIMP. One that’s stable and left alone. And another that gets updated. If the second breaks, no big deal. I wonder if this is a common strategy to balance the need for dependable sw versus that itch to stay at the cutting edge?

Windows users do have a fallback plan. For anyone reading this who is a Windows user and not inclined to deal with .dll conflicts, you can go to partha.com and download a version of GIMP for Windows with G’MIC already installed. It might not always be the very latest version, but it’ll work!

Thanks @David_Tschumperle for all of your hard work!
New release is looking awesome!
I am currently working on making new OpenFX and After effects plugins based on the latest G’MIC 2.x sources :slight_smile:

1 Like

Very cool to hear that @Tobias_Fleischer !
Actually, I’m preparing a new minor release today, with version 2.0.2 (current git is up to date :slight_smile: ), in case that could be of interest !

1 Like

The games have programmed in gmic or in another language using libgmic?