Release of G'MIC 3.0

You are right, there are many ways to get to Athens!

gmic osteo_ k. o /tmp/test.raw,bool i /tmp/test.raw,bool r 128,128,1,1,-1 d

will do it too

Hi, I noticed some broken filters due to changes to resize. Is the new resize_as_image replacement command likely to exist for a while (just wondering if it’s considered a long term option)?

As an aside, a gmic code formatter to expand to long format commands would be fantastic. It’s not much fun searching .gmic files for the letter “r”…

1 Like

Actually I have some problems with the technical references. The actual file gmic_references.pdf seemingly does not have a table of contents, which could be showed at the side of a display and a bit worse there are no hyperlinks to move around quickly. Even from the new function reference tables the addressed functions cannot be selected by clicking at. The website version does not have these problems.

Is that a Mac problem or more a problem of the doc generator?

Yes, definitely a long-term option.
I thought I’ve already made the changes on the filter sources, but maybe I missed some.
Let me know which filters are not working anymore, I’ll take a look at them.

1 Like

The .pdf is now built directly from the HTML output, and there are some annoying limitations I found with the tools to do that.

Will 3.0 support GIMP2.99+?

There have been plug-in API changes in GIMP 2.99, and I’m not sure how hard it would be to adapt the current G’MIC-Qt code to use this new plug-in API.
Maybe @Jehan could tell more about this.

Until now, we haven’t tried to port G’MIC-Qt for GIMP 2.99, because :

• We are not sure the new GIMP API is stable enough to start working on the port.
  • We (Sébastien Fourey and myself) don’t have much time at the moment for trying this.
  • To be honest, we are probably not the most competent to carry out this porting. We actually hope we’ll get some help from other people for completing this.
1 Like

Thanks. I was wondering about new QT6. Will you move to it/ are you already using it ?

Qt6 has new GPU support.

Again, this is not planed yet, but if someone wants to contribute, we’d be happy to get contributions.

Yeah porting from 2.10 plug-in code to 3.0 should take no more than half an hour, unless some developer was doing some really specific stuff which was very GIMP 2 or GTK+2 (won’t be the case here obviously for GTK!) specific.

As for current GIMP 3 API stability, the core logics should not change tremendously (even more as you don’t use GUI API for G’MIC), so it is highly possible that a port now could stay unchanged and work for GIMP 3. But obviously we can’t promise anything until finale GIMP 3 release. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I think you fixed most of the docs by now. In some places, the quotes are still off. I don’t remember all of the places, but here is one from https://gmic.eu/reference/mathematical_expressions.html:

Found a few more: date(), correlate(), isfile().

Hi David,

after fiddeling around with gmic-py on Mac I tried the same building gmic cli with openmp using clang++mp-6.0 from my MacPorts package manager.

First trials show a speed increase by a factor of two, just tried with a size = (9216,8400,1,3) image with “tic +b 5 b. 5 toc”. With the mp-build my 4 kernels were at 100%, the other showed 2 kernels with 50%!

2 Likes

@garagecoder, please have a look to your “Auto Balance” and “Normalize Brightness” filters in the Color Menu. Since the code cleaning these filters no longer work. The filters in your test menu all work. Thank you. (gimp 2.10, g’mic -Qt 2.9.5 pre 210107, windows 64)

Edit: solved:

1 Like

Thanks very much for letting me know! I’ll look into it as soon as I can.

2 Likes

Well it’s odd… everything OK my side, but I have 2.9.4 still (I’m a bit lazy waiting for Manjaro updates). I’ve run out of time today so will look again tomorrow with a newer version.

1 Like

I am not using the pre either. At a glance, nothing seems out of the ordinary in the code.

These are the error messages:
autobalance_error

normalizebrightness_error

That’s strange. I don’t see any --r or --^.

Indeed, that looks very like an old g’mic update file. I assume you already tried filters refresh?

Edit: or perhaps something in your own local .gmic / user.gmic file?

Indeed, the +command syntax has completely superseeded the old syntax --command, since G’MIC 2.9.2 (the latter being now invalid and not understood by more recent versions of the G’MIC interpreter).
It’s just like @iarga is using G’MIC 2.9.2+ with an old update file.

1 Like