Release of G'MIC 3.3

I think we should wait for G’MIC 3.2.3. I too hope nothing is wrong, but I don’t see that bug on my end.

Well, i could reproduce that bug multiple times yesterday. (Just don’t ask me why i tried to move the preview while applying a filter, i just don’t know myself!)
But today it doesn’t happen anymore in gimp gmic 3.2.2, but still happens in my standalone. But then i found out it was “pre230317”, even though i built it after release… well, forget it then. It was so weird though.

Hello dear G’MIC users. We are planning to release G’MIC 3.2.3 this week, and we just uploaded pre-release packages for Windows on the G’MIC website : Index of /files/prerelease
We are very interested to get feedback on this pre-release, particularly concerning the stability of the plug-in, where a lot of efforts have been made.
To be clear : if everything is alright with this pre-release version, then the 3.2.3 release will be the same as the current pre-release.
Thanks for your help!

• 2023/04/04: Release of G’MIC 3.2.3.

Again, thanks so much to @samj who helped a lot for helping us to fix a very annoying and hard-to-find bug happening on Windows. This version should be definitely more stable than previous version 3.2.2!

(ping @PDN_GMIC @hdynamo @KaRo :slight_smile: ).

Just installed it; didn’t think much about it but earlier versions did occasionally crash but worked around them. Hopefully this update does address the stability issues. Thanks in advance to you and samj if so, David. :slight_smile:

1 Like

After updating, I can’t use my custom filters on user.gmic.

C:\Windows\System32>gmic rep_random_stripe 51,50 rm. pal 40 map.. . rm.
[gmic]-0./ Start G'MIC interpreter.
[gmic]-0./ Input file 'rep_random_stripe' at position 0
[gmic]-0./ *** Error *** Unknown command or filename 'rep_random_stripe'.
C:\Users\User\Pictures\gmic-qt-data>gmic echo $_path_rc
C:UsersUserAppDataRoaminggmic\
[gmic]-0./ End G'MIC interpreter.

C:\Users\User\Pictures\gmic-qt-data>gmic echo $_path_user
C:UsersUsergmic
[gmic]-0./ End G'MIC interpreter.

@Reptorian

gmic.exe m %USERPROFILE%\user.gmic image.png MyScript

Go to G'MIC-Qt → Settings → Filter Sources and change the path to your user.gmic file if needed.

For G’MIC-CLI, there is apparently a bug, and the user file for 3.2.3 has to be %USERPROFILE%/gmic, instead of %USERPROFILE%/user.gmic. This will be fixed for the next version.

@samj I think I will go with that solution meanwhile.

@David_Tschumperle Changing name doesn’t work either. I tried those too. Didn’t read correctly, now it works like it should now.

At any time, to get the location where G’MIC search for the user command file :

foo :
  echo $_path_user
  • 2023/04/28: Release of G’MIC 3.2.4.
4 Likes

Maybe a few words about the release of G’MIC version 3.2.4 today.
While reading the changelog, you may have noticed that there are actually very few changes compared to the previous stable version 3.2.3.

To be honest, my hope is that this version will actually last a little while without needing an update.
I’ve noticed less and less issues when writing new G’MIC scripts these last months, and I believe this tool is becoming quite stable now (it’s about time!!).

This release comes at the same time as the beginning of a quite busy period at work for me, so I wanted to do one last release before I could concentrate on other things.

I will of course continue to watch the forum regularly, and answer questions.
But I will probably slow down my development activity around G’MIC, I have to concentrate on my research work if I don’t want to feel overwhelmed by all the new things coming out in my field of interest (image generation and editing).

I hope you will have great things to share in the future with this new version.
Thanks again everybody for your contributions, and your kind messages and feedbacks.

2 Likes

I have been noticing that G’MIC feels more or less complete in the language though minus some few things I’d like (Python-like/C++ set as in ordered and unordered set and dictionary) with numbers and changing image types to bypass some limitations which I’m not expecting. So yeah, I think you met your goal.

1 Like

When writing the recent commands doing Huffman encoding, I was pleasantly surprised by the fact that managing trees in G’MIC is not that difficult.
As ordered sets are in practice implemented with binary trees (red/black trees), I think it is definitely possible to create specific G’MIC commands that would allow to manage ordered sets.

1 Like

So, you’re saying it would be possible to do and_set(),or_set(),diff_set(),intersect_set() as a function given known size of set? I written a bug report a long time ago on that where I was trying to emulate set in python, and it requires me to figure out how to generate a code via code to bypass the macro limitations, and given it’s huge difficulty doing that, I didn’t do that.

Basically, a convenient way to store a binary tree structure in G’MIC is to use dynamic arrays with vector-valued elements which are encoded as [ value,ind_parent,ind_child0,ind_child1 ], so that you can easily get the value in a math expression using something as i[#$tree,ind] and access to indices of parents and children with i(#$tree,0,ind,0,k) where (k=1 for the parent and k=2 and 3 for the two children).
Once you have decided how a tree structure is encoded, it should be possible to write specific commands that operate on these trees.

Houston, we have a problem:

C:\Windows\System32>gmic h crop

C:\Windows\System32>gmic h crop

C:\Windows\System32>gmic h pal

C:\Windows\System32>gmic version

gmic: GREYC's Magic for Image Computing: command-line interface
        Version 3.2.4
        (https://gmic.eu)

Copyright (c) Since 2008, David Tschumperlé / GREYC / CNRS.
        (https://www.greyc.fr)

Have you updated with gmic update ?
It works for me on Ubuntu.

EDIT Tested on Windows too, no problem for me.

1 Like

Confirmed it works now. Thanks.