released vkdt 0.5.0

Guys, can we share noise profiles or create a database or something like that? Or is that already simplified?

I will tryā€¦the first thing I really dont ezactly understand are all these options. I assumed each was using a different compiler or well really I donā€™t understand itā€¦ I just know I had downloaded all the ucrt packages and built DT from that terminal when it was updated to use thatā€¦ but what if I open the clang option hereā€¦ is that going to use clang?? I think I still get the same resultsā€¦

Got it to compile just fine here on Fedora 37, itā€™s heckin fast on my RX 6900XT. A little different to work with than traditional darktable or RawTherapee.

1 Like

Inching alongā€¦got past all that and fairly far along but hit a wall hereā€¦

ZLIB (required version >= 1.2.11), software library used for data compression
Used for decoding DNG Deflate compression

ā€“ The following REQUIRED packages have been found:

• Pugixml (required version >= 1.8), Light-weight, simple and fast XML parser, http://pugixml.org/
    Used for loading of data/cameras.xml

ā€“ Configuring done
ā€“ Generating done
ā€“ Build files have been written to: C:/msys64/home/user/vkdt/built/ext/rawspeed
mkdir -p ā€¦/built/ext/rawspeed
/bin/make -C ā€¦/built/ext/rawspeed
make[2]: Entering directory ā€˜/home/prior/vkdt/built/ext/rawspeedā€™
make[2]: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.
make[2]: Leaving directory ā€˜/home/prior/vkdt/built/ext/rawspeedā€™
make[1]: *** [Makefile:27: ā€¦/built/ext/rawspeed/librawspeed.a] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory ā€˜/home/prior/vkdt/extā€™
make: *** [Makefile:57: ext] Error 2

You and I are now facing the same wall.

As for the confusion in environments: itā€™s all about which standards are used by default, and a little about compatibility. I donā€™t think it matters a lot if youā€™re just compiling for yourself. More info here: Environments - MSYS2

ah good point. maybe a separate git repo? so people can selectively download only the ones they actually need? iā€™m thinking spectral response curves and the luts created for different illuminants would be a good resource to share too.

2 Likes

are these two supposed to be the same directory actually? and is cmake creating makefiles? or is it secretly assuming ninja or something else for the build? maybe this generator setting (explicitly use gnu make) is required?

maybe you can try to explicitly add

cmake -G "Unix Makefiles"

to the cmake invocation in ext/Makefile?

I think I can provide noise profiles for at least 4 cameras plus maybe a popular smartphone.
Just setting the camera manually to every iso setting that is available, pointing at whatever and shooting a series, is that all that is necessary? And of course creating the profiles afterwards. Or is some specific lighting situation required?
I can do that but give me a bit time for it.

sounds great. thatā€™s really all there is to it, yes. the fitting procedure seems to be much more robust than what i implemented for darktable, so i usually get good profiles from all images. of course the considerations that were true for dt still hold (try to get a good histogram over the whole dynamic range, avoid sharp features/edges in the image).

i might change the data format of these profiles in the future, to have less files scattered around (maybe just one per camera, not one for each camera and iso combination). seems wasteful to allocate a whole 4k block for two float valuesā€¦

Iā€™ll provide a full set for the Nikon Z9, using the same images I used for darktable.

1 Like

Apologies if this is a daft questionā€¦ :roll_eyes: Would I be able run vkdt on a linux distro running on a usb drive, i.e. a live install or whatever the term is? Itā€™s just that I donā€™t want (atm) to set up a dual boot arrangement, and certainly donā€™t have the skills to build it for Windows, but I would like to try vkdt.
Any thoughts anyone?

heya,

i see no issues there. vkdt is built to run from a single directory, so you can just install it in your home, in /opt, or as part of a usb drive installation. the installation itself is not terribly large, and the luts shipped as part of the install are relatively small too. just the raws should really be on the fastest possible ssd, disk io and raw decoding are really limiting factors for thumbnail generation.

2 Likes

you can also just use the vkdt packages.

and for windows ā€¦ if your windows version supports WSL ā€¦ you could run it in there probably.

Thanks, thatā€™s really good to know! Thanks, @darix too. That was my hope. Any thoughts on what distro to use?

Could Iā€¦ I actually have WSL installed, although I didnā€™t get as far as installing a distro, as I thought I read on the forum that the graphics card support would be problematic in WSLā€¦ ?

my answer will always be openSUSE Tumbleweed :wink:

packages are here

2 Likes

I have done that several times, it works.

1 Like

Great!

This was what I was thinking of vkdt on Windows - #7 by ariznaf I think Iā€™ll go with the linux-on-USB idea!
Goodnight all!