[resolved] Current best color management method in Kubuntu?

Sure, or I can just disable it when I need to. But I use it when I’m not photo/video editing so I’d like to get everything to work together to the best degree I can.

They can’t work together since they both simply grab the hardware and use it or their own purposes. (To be able to coordinate their activity would mean having some formalized notion of what these utilities are attempting to do, and such formalization restricts the sort of open innovation that allowed them to be created in the first place. If something like Wayland could formalize a well thought out color management extension, then maybe this could be resolved.)

Note that I’m informed that recent X11 releases may make this even more confusing by combining all the different mechanisms for setting up the X11 CRTC VideoLUTs, rather than having the last one take precedence. You won’t ever quite know what is messing things up, nor how to set it to a known state :frowning:

1 Like

Is there any update for Wayland Color Management? I hope it is able to be resolved to a working solution. (Maybe more hope than X11?)

Hi @alexmitchellmus and welcome! Currently the spec for Wayland color management is being fleshed out, so there is no solution in place currently.

Not “the” spec, “a” spec - one of many. None of them get close to ticking all my boxes, and I wouldn’t get your hopes up…

X11 color management works now. Wayland - maybe sometime or maybe never.