Retinex possibilities

RawTherapee is in the process of acquiring a new tool, Retinex.

No retinex:

Retinex with tone-mapping using exposure:

Retinex with tone-mapping using white-point correction:

Helps if you open them in tabs and flip back and forth.

3 Likes

The white-point correction one looks a lot like Filmulator on medium Drama with wide, subtle halos of a nearly invisible profile.

Can you explain how the two different modes work?

Not so subtle halos IMHO. That’s the first thing I noticed in both images.

3 Likes

The white-point one is where I set white-point correction to 4 - this takes place before Retinex in the pipeline. Exposure changes take place after. There are endless more possibilities and you can probably reduce the halos too - I haven’t read the French documentation yet.

It depends, as always, on the viewing size. I couldn’t see them on my desktop, but now on my phone they’re glaringly obvious.

Same here (not a critique of the method, just an observation of the result). Also, it’s only plainly visible to me on the span support <-> sky boundary (I don’t notice it really on the span details, or the bridge tower without flipping back and forth).

But neat! Will it be available to play with soon?

1 Like

When will the retinex tool work on non-raw? Quote from other topic (Retinex tool problem):

“Retinex works on raw files, it does not work on non-raw files (yet).”

Is it in the near future? Or is it better to think in months? It doesn’t matter, you do a great job with RT. I’m only impatient to let retinex work for my scanned photos.

Yes, the Retinex tool is already in master, but there were some additions and fixes. I will merge those today into master.

At some point in the future when higher priority things are done. The work was started and stalled.

I just merged it into master.

Any French speakers here?

Oui moi, pourquoi?
Post needs at least 20 characters.

French speaker here too.
I haven’t made 64-bit Windows builds since awhile, I’ll try to make some very soon.

It sounds like it’s similar to Filmulator, but specifically mimicking the eye’s local contrast adaptations and halos instead of the same phenomenon in film development, so like Filmulator it probably wants linear gamma input.

That means for color film you have to determine the tone curve.

For black and white film, you can just do it in analog instead by using stand development.

Cool !
French speaker here too!

I ask because using Google Translate to make a preliminary translation of the French documentation leads to poor results and a lot of time is spent trying to figure out what the author meant. Once the preliminary translation is done, I then go over the whole document again and this time change everything as I see fit to make the content relevant to photographers, to make it match the current state of the tool and to make sure that it’s correct (that involves checking the code). So I would like to ask you to help me by making a preliminary translation of the Retinex article. Don’t worry about making it ‘nice’, since I will probably rewrite everything anyway, just make it correct with respect to the French content.

I am the author (shared with Ingo) code Retinex, and also editor of the French documentation.
If I can be useful, do not hesitate to contact me

Also, I added a Retinex Module - under evaluation - in a “wavelet” patch (branch newwavelet).
This implementation can handle TIF and JPG files. However, the use of “wavelet” is already complex!

Excuse my bad english :slight_smile:

1 Like

Perhaps I should open a new thread? let me know
I want to use Retinex to dehaze a photo.

You can find my example here. It is a D80 NEF file. As PP3, I use standard.
My aim is not to find the optimal result but only how to dehaze with Retinex, getting an acceptable starting point.

My first step is so to enable Retinex : terrible result with a pink sky.
second step : I try to display the transmission map. This map should be a kind of representation of atmosphere thickness as the mask provided in same link above (not in same dimension)
To display it in Retinex, I click on “process” and I have the choice between two transmission masks. The two of them seem weird.

• What are they representing?
  • Why as I just want to display an existing mask, the processing pipeline is replayed?
  • why the transmission mask are colorful?
  • why there are halos?

In order to obtain the desired dehaze effect, the transmission mask can be modified with a luminance curve ( S shape for example) to increase or decrease foreground and background.

• where is the luminance curve which modulates the transmission mask?

So Ideally the only parameter needed is a luminance curve or cursors to modulate the density of the transmission mask.

I surely missed something even after reading the french rawpedia.

Your help and explanation will be welcome (particularly @jdc)
Please stick on the subject of dehazing.
I am not asking for processing advice (the photo is not worth this kind of effort)

Please answer in I want to dehaze…

For future reference I’d probably start a new thread? (You can go to the post you want to reply to, and on the right will be a Reply as linked Topic option).

Before I answer the questions … I found a bug in the GUI, which did not allow in certain circumstances to touch “transmission map”.
I made a commit to “master” and “gtk3”

Regarding dehazing please go to the new discussion I want to dehaze…