Reverse the deprecation of defringe?

I’m worried that Defringe will be removed in the future since it’s “deprecated”. I’ve only recently begun to use Darktable but already I have several examples where Chromatic Abberation hasn’t been enough and images have been saved by it:

I tried to search this forum and didn’t see any discussions about this, and I also looked at Github and didn’t really see anything. Where can I read about why this decision was made and anyone have any ideas on how to influence the developers to reverse the decision?

Perhaps you could post an example image as a PlayRaw just in case others know of better ways to solve this without the defringe module.

No module is ever completely removed from darktable, in order to preserve backward compatibility (when aan old edit is opened with a recent version of the software).

You can:

• adjust the correction in the lens correction module; use the TCA overwrite option:
    darktable 4.2 user manual - lens correction
  • then adjust chromatic aberrations, as described here
  • if that was not enough, enable raw chromatic aberration (if working with Bayer-mosaiced raw data); you’ll likely have to re-adjust lens correction and chromatic aberrations afterwards;
  • finally, you still have defringe.

If you are worried it’ll ever become hard-deprecated (so not even the module search functionality will show it), create a style where it is enabled, and apply it in the future as needed.

Well, I’ve already posted an example previously and seen a similar sentiment to mine in that thread. However, I went ahead and posted an extreme example which neither module could handle.

Thank you, that’s comforting to learn!

you‘d better create a style containing the deprecated module if you wasn’t to make further use of it.
Depreciation is done when there are alternatives for modules using lab colorspace and so having a risk of side effects when used in an improper way.

I 100% agree that some images work best with defringe. Please keep unless there is a maintenance problem.

Terry can you show one… I just tried on the linked one and defringe was by far the least effective…

@priort I will keep an eye out for an example image. They are very few and far between, but some images work best with defringe to get rid of the purple fringing. As long as I can find the defringe module in the deprecated list I am happy. I just don’t want to lose the option. Of course another way of tackling the purple fringe problem is using localised masks and the color zones module. That works incredibly effective with some images.

I don’t agree. Because the extreme settings required in the Lens Correction and CA module to take care of the leaves causes fringing in other parts of the photo, which Defringe then helps to clean up.

Ya I only focused on the extreme area in the branches I didn’t pixel peep the rest… and I could have likely backed off the setting considerably and still have been better than the fringe in that area but there could have been side effects elsewhere I didn’t really look…

Is ‘defringe’ scene referred safe ? Because that’s mostly reason #1 to deprecate a module.

On the top of my head , it MIGHT mean (as in, I’m not sure if this is correct) that using the module before filmic/ sigmoid / basecurve may clip your highlights . And/or a risk to cause colorshifts.
Although primary the highlight thing .

There may be issues. Hover hover over the module’s header to see:

Interestingly, it’s placed before sigmoid (and filmic), in the scene-referred part of the pipe:

I can not lay my hands on a specific image now as my previous windows computer died and it contained a suitable sample for sure. But, sometimes defringe easily handled purple fringing around street lights in some scenes where the chromatic aberation modules failed to easily achieve this. If it is not a maintenance issue I would like to see it remain even if it has a warning that other other modules are recommended.

There are in fact a number of severe restrictions in defringe leading to being deprecated.

In those few images you concider to be relevant you should rethink what that module actually does. It basically reduces saturation at edges.

You can reach the same with much better quality/stability by simply using color balance rgb with a parametric mask tuned with details threshold. If you want that to be used like on branches in bright sky (as in the mentioned image) you can easily define a style or preset as parameters are pretty stable)

5 Likes

Speaking of deprecated modules, the Contrast-Brightness-Saturation module has been deprecated, and now invisible when using the Color Balance RGB, which I found a lot more confusing that it needs to be. Please bring back the Contrast-Brightness-Saturation module!

Thanks

Make a preset with the module enabled and apply that preset when you start editing. There is much more robust modules available than that one.

1 Like