RFC: Non-Destructive Layer Effects/Adjustment Layer Groups Project

First the GNOME file picker previews get added and now maybe this? What are we going to meme on afterwards guys?

The fact that it still took twenty years

If it happens, I will be more than happy! I would suggest some basic tools like curves, hue-saturation, color temperature/ balance and exposure as the first step.

4 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion! After discussing this idea with the developers, the goal is for everything to be a layer effect (rather than a distinction between layer styles and adjustment layers).

In other words, once we can add NDE filters to layers, you’ll be able to add any of those operations and more. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

As an update, my proposed project was accepted! I’ll be working on adding non-destructive editing support to GIMP over the summer.

You can see a really early test here: GIMP WIP: Initial NDE Experiment - YouTube

10 Likes

That’s exciting!

Thank you!!

Looks like I have reasons to be excited for GIMP this time. Thank you.

I think (if I understood your video) it’s wrong,

you inverted the color of the layer, for the user it would be something like Colors > Invert

Why the color of the brush are inverted?
the brush should not be inverted this has nothing to do with the inverted color of the layer, that’s not NDE

Did I understood your video?

Hi! First off, that video is rather old - there’s been a lot of advancements since then. Here’s a better one (and even it’s out of date since I now have a basic GUI in place): (2) GIMP WIP - NDE Built in - YouTube

As for the inverted effect: Imagine you have a pane of red glass. Currently, applying a filter in GIMP is like putting that glass in front of the image and then painting on the glass. You can remove the glass, but you also lose everything you painted after applying it.

The NDE implementation is like painting on the image behind the glass. If you have the glass in front of you, your paint will appear tinted red (like my brush in the old video) - but you can remove your glass to see the original image without losing all the work you’ve done. Does that help explain a bit better?

1 Like

No not at all, it’s even more confusing…

BUT, your latest video did show what WE call NDE :sweat_smile:

IF I understood your latest video at the end we just have to click on one of the filter on the list of the layer property to re-edit the filter?

If so, that’s an absolute great job :+1: :clap: :hugs:
Thank you

Heh - well, as long as something helped then I’m happy. :slight_smile:
Yes, that’s the goal. Aryeom is working on a UI design which I’ll try to implement - once that’s done, I’ll have another video showing how you can update/rearrange existing filters.

2 Likes

Question, would it be difficult to implement things we seen in Krita? Yes, most perceive it as a exclusively drawing software, but that doesn’t detract from the observation that there are things that offers flexible NDE in there that can be used for photo-manipulation.

I’m thinking of things like:

1. Clone Layers
  2. File Layers
  3. Fill Layers
  4. Transform Layers/Mask

Clone Layers and File Layers especially as they do allow automated editing with different set ups.

I believe there’s plans for most of those:

• Jehan has an in-progress implementation of File/Link Layers which will probably be done in the next release after 3.0 (alongside vector layers hopefully).

• Fill layers will be possible with this - you’d just add a GEGL solid color, gradient, or pattern layer effect. A convenience feature that auto-applies these may end up as part of the UI.

• Pippin mentioned a concept of “clone-nodes” which could help implement clone layers. Something to look at once the layer effects are implemented.

• I’m not familar with Transform Layers - do you have an example of how they should work?

Think of Krita Transform Mask, but global to the layers below it. On a side note, this is what Krita is going to get implemented at some point too.

1 Like