RIP DisplayCAL ?

3.1? Jesus. That’s actually really funny. This whole thread is about my inability to deliver a py3-ready version for Linux, and yet what gets packed up is a version that today would be almost five years out of date (well ok, four if you consider the lack of progress on my part this year, but still). Thanks for that! I needed that laugh (no disrespect to the packager though, don’t get me wrong). :rofl:

1 Like

REALLY??

Yes really. I like situational humor.

Oh trust me, I feel you on the energy front. I might help @paperdigits and @agriggio to use the OBS for appimage and maybe flatpak.

Now could you do us a favor and pick a code hosting of your choice and put your current state there so people like @anon41087856 can work on it? I mean we have some more people on the forum with python 3 experience so maybe we can get somewhere. and we do your other action items afterwards?

1 Like

How do you feel about irony?

Well I’m glad that I made you smile then!
I still find it ironic that in a thread with >100 replies, at least half of which are essentially complaining that you are not doing anything and not caring about the poor Linux users, you decided to laugh in the face of one of the few people who was basically saying “guys, please stop whining, getting the code to run is not that hard…”. Oh well :man_shrugging:

6 Likes

I haven’t read through even half of the posts here. :slight_smile:

Now could you do us a favor and pick a code hosting of your choice

I’m thinking github, although my original plan was to not use it. Comments?

we have github for some. gitlab for others. either works fine. i guess you will turn of the bugtracker for those hosting platforms anyway and point to your old one? for gitlab it is easy to hook up some premade containers to speed up the testsuite. havent checked github on that front.

2 Likes

Is there any news about this?
I tried to install the flatpak on Debian testing/sid but get this:

error: Can’t load uri https://dl.flathub.org/build-repo/34656/net.displaycal.DisplayCAL.flatpakref: Server returned status 404: Not Found

1 Like

I have created a Debian Buster live system which includes Displaycal 3.8 and argyllcms 2.1 (the latter is in the home directory of the live user). It will take a while to upload it. The iso file is inside a splitted 7zip archive (10 parts) since I cannot upload 950MB in one piece. You will be able to download it here:

I have included the newest 5.9 backported kernel for Buster, so hopefully the system will start on new hardware as well. Most nonfree wifi/networking firmware is included, too (that was a bit tricky).
So you just have to put it on a usb stick and boot from it. But remember to disable the screensaver before you start to calibrate.
Have not tested it thoroughly.

4 Likes

I was able to build and run the flatpak from source on my Arch Linux system.

Checked it out from here: https://github.com/hfiguiere/flathub/tree/displaycal
Note that the git repo has submodules that should also be checked out.

git clone https://github.com/hfiguiere/flathub.git
git checkout displaycal
git submodule init
git submodule update

Followed steps 1, 4, and 5 from here: Building your first Flatpak — Flatpak documentation

flatpak install flathub org.freedesktop.Platform//20.08 org.freedesktop.Sdk//20.08
flatpak-builder build-dir net.displaycal.DisplayCAL.json
flatpak-builder --user --install other-dir net.displaycal.DisplayCAL.json
flatpak run net.displaycal.DisplayCAL

I’m not totally sure if this is the right procedure to install a flatpak but it worked. I got an error on that third step when I specified the same directory build-dir as in the previous step, but changed the directory name to a different name and it did run. Don’t know exactly what was going on there.

By default the flatpak runs in a sandbox with limited access to system resources. It is set up to access USB devices (–device=all in the manifest) but won’t have full filesystem access. You can copy files into ~/.var/app/net.displaycal.DisplayCAL and it will be able to read them from there.

2 Likes

We still have stuff running on a legacy mainframe and/or DOS… Over time more and more gets migrated away from that system, but our warranty/reliability team still have to deal with that system (because all of our historical warranty/reliability data is still there)

I’m currently typing this from a Win10 19xx build, and that’s only because I’m an “early tester”. Most of the company is still on Win10 1803. I’m one of two people to have migrated to Ubuntu 20.04 for our Linux machines, and it’s been majorly problematic (because GnuTLS seems to have inferior regression testing compared to OpenSSL, with the end result being that there are regressions that break in weird ways when going through a Fortigate proxy.)

As to SCM systems - some have ditched Github because they don’t like the fact that Microsoft purchased them, and still treat Microsoft post-Nadella as being the same company ran by Gates or Ballmer (it’s pretty clearly not…), but I think github, gitlab, or bitbucket would work fine. I think github is dominant/most common so you’ll likely see a bit more contributor activity there if you don’t have some specific objection to it. Sourceforge is definitely problematic after the drive-by-download/spyware incidents a few years ago as a result of their new ownership. I tend to assume any project still on SF is dead…

I have done C bindings of Python before, but not for a LONG time. I’m rusty as hell, but maybe can take a look at it once the “latest and greatest” code is somewhere.

1 Like

“As Adobe Flash stops running, so do some railroads in China”

3 Likes

My credit card company was still using Flash as of quite late in 2020…

This was… an interesting read.

Just want to give people a heads up that as I’m typing this, in mid-April, DisplayCAL is still installing and working just fine on my up-to-date Manjaro system.

Would you have a link for the Eizo calibration software for Linux, I have looked but can only find Windows and MacOs versions.

You need to ask Eizo. The software is not official for Linux, but they will send you a link.

There is no problem with Arch/Manjaro. Displaycal as well as Python 2 are still in the repo and functional.

1 Like

Is Eizo free?

I think it is but guess it only works with Eizo screens.