RT vs DT - sharpening - 1001

Yes, I am basically in the same boat. I wish I had time to dig into the math, the connection between speed and anisotropy for various orders is not something I understand at the moment. Cf

I’m even less… I don’t have the math background to even understand it. :slightly_smiling_face:

@nwinspeare Nicolas did a really nice job and he had a nice example image where he demonstrated the tweak on image detail… Having said that as I mentioned earlier 95% of the time is use a modified preset… I find the no AA preset does a good job and then you can dial up slowly or or two or maybe at most 3 iterations in IMO… I know everyone’s opinion of good sharpness varies… You also really have to check the result at 100% I find the DT preview is often very misleading for noise and sharpening … it might look fine full screen but if you zoom its cooked or you have introduced a lot of grain that just seems to get lost when the image is scaled to give the full screen preview.

3 Likes

Thus very one thread, thanks :smiley:
Hope it’s still an interesting read and not too outdated

I’m testing the last DeepPRIME XD model from DXO which has lens deblurring option, and somehow it’s less sharp than the original file I produced with RT. Turns out it’s because RT can’t apply capture sharpening to the DNG DXO produces. Capture sharpening’s pretty good.