Running stable and latest build release on single hard drive

I’ve read that it’s best to run the latest stable release for photo edits and use the build releases to test new features. How is that done when both installs are using the path c:\users\mike\appdata\local\darktable\ . .for the config files?

I would want to change the path for the config files in the build release, I think. My script for the latest build release creates a new darktable.exe file. I don’t know how to execute that file and place the config folder into a different path.

Just install the test version in a different directory (for example C:\Program Files\darktable_dev) and use the --config parameter to start it. Something like that (replace with your user name):

"C:\Program Files\darktable_dev\bin\darktable.exe" --configdir "C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\darktable_dev"

Also, before you do anything in the test version, go in darktable preferences and in Storage set “create XMP files” to never.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll give it a try.

PERFECT! thank you!

I’ve been using this script provided by @dtrtuser which was building the same release as those from the @wpferguson insider program. Now the script is building on version 4.5. I’m wondering why that is happening.

#!/bin/bash
lensfun-update-data
cd ~/darktable/
rm -rf build
git pull origin master
git submodule update
mkdir build
cd build
cmake -G Ninja -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/opt/darktable -DCUSTOM_CFLAGS=ON -DCMAKE_CXX_FLAGS=“-O3 -march=native” -DCMAKE_C_FLAGS=“-O3 -march=native” -DBINARY_PACKAGE_BUILD=OFF …/.
cmake --build . --target package

Just run git fetch -p to get the latest release tags.

What am I missing?

Mike@DESKTOP-4GM6U62 UCRT64 ~
$ git fetch -p
fatal: not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): .git

cd darktable first???

1 Like

Thanks!

For the submodules, it’s safer to use: git submodule update --init --recursive. This was suggested by kmilos:

You’ll find my current build script with detailed explanation here: