Samsung exec says all photos are fake

Some (or maybe a lot?) people will end up with that, but you can end up with whatever you want. The same as people purchasing sourdough artisanal bread today. It is all an individual choice.

FWIW, given that the majority of people do absolutely zero post processing on their phone snaps (even trivial operations like a crop that would improve most images enormously), I doubt that a lot of people will care about AI enhancement on their phones after the initial novelty wears off. The image will be viewed for 1s, so why invest even 2s?

2 Likes

This is true but there’s also the problem of consumption. It’s easy to tell which bread is which of course, and we even choose to eat it, but we don’t choose to see photos a lot of the time, and there will be no way to tell which from which.

I guess maybe people will start using some dystopian “AI Free” badges or something like that :smiley:

1 Like

Yes - sad reality. But it would bother me - so yes - invest way more than 2s :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t know if it’s just me, but AI is making very suspicious of anything ‘perfect’.
That applies to photos/images as well as written text.

I’m no genius in either, but I so much prefer something where you can see the hand that made it, to put it slightly metaphorically.

A recent example is this article - Exploring Urban Exploration Photography - 35mmc

Usually a very good site, this particular article has all my ‘spidey AI’ senses tingling. :rofl:
The text, that is, not the photos.
I’m hesitant to point any fingers, but it’s got all the hallmarks of an AI ghost writer.
Suave, polished writing that doesn’t say anything of any interest. Just like some politicians!

2 Likes

You and me both. It reminds me of (American?) news anchors / presenters: Perfect but with almost no personality and it says nothing you don’t already know. I don’t want to say too much because Paul David Smith may well be a real human with a polished writing style. But it seems to be somewhat personality-less so it makes me wonder.

I suspect there will be a backlash to some degree where artists, writers, etc., will overdo their ‘shtick’ to try and intentionally drive home their humanity. And then AI will follow…

3 Likes

Yes, I suspect so too… :sob:

1 Like

Welcome to Canada. The politicians are very politically correct (much talk without any substance - empty talks).

And sometimes - you find something like this - especially the brilliant comment at the end.

2 Likes

Hear hear! :rofl:

1 Like

I stumbled on this picture
Imgur
What is so interesting to me is that it is very apparent that it has had a special treatment in Photoshop. However - on a first glance - the Canon camera is seen.
Only if we are to expand the EXIF we see Photoshop behind.

Then - on the other end - you have something like this (that looks quite genuine) but interestingly enough - it is part of the AI groups.

Imgur

Maybe not “all” photos are fake but surely - a whole bunch are.

The faces on the left and right appear to be lit from below, unlike the face in the centre.

2 Likes

But it can be reflection from the ground and legs.

The hand on the (viewer’s) left doesn’t look right to me:

The ears are pointed and elf-like:

…or actually distorted:

But still all in all it’s pretty impressive.

2 Likes

Very good observation! I did not look that close.

Agree!