"Save as" sidecar file

Thanks, that’s good about “only write when edit”.

@rvietor , @priort , about tags in output, the manual (3.6) also says “Users are therefore advised to not rely on this feature for their backup strategy. To back up your data always make sure to save your input (raw) file as well as all of darktable’s XMP sidecar files.” (page 195)

Same question as the post, but with a different intent: how can I quickly save an .xmp file from lighttable to a specific location, eg in /tmp/, for subsequently posting in this forum?

Currently I look up the file in the relevant folder, but this is a bit tedious.

I don’t think you can just save the xmp in a “random” place. You can however export e.g. a medium-quality jpeg with the history stack in the metadata. That jpeg can then be used as if it were an xmp sidecar to load a history.

Added advantage: users get a quick preview of what your history stack does :wink:

I was scolded for doing this and rightly so I guess as some people apparently just want to look at the txt file…if your version is not common from building or whatever it may not load as a sidecar but they could still read the text… at least that is what I recall I was told…

So people who post xmp’s here just find them manually?

No I usually export the raw file to my desktop or download and then do the edit from there and then it saves the sidecar there too…then I just upload both and delete them…

How do you do that? (Sorry if this is obvious, but this is what my question is about.)

Sorry I edited my post…I usually edit the source files outside of my normal storage as I can be messing around or I have downloaded playraw whatever and I don’t want them in with my files…usually do all this inside my download folder…then from time to time I clear it out…

EDIT I don’t use the DT database so I just use it like any other program and open files from where ever or from my photo folders… I don’t worry too much about locations as I am not working with the database…not that that would matter but I just don’t need it…

How does one do that?

I have processed 11 different versions (minor changes) so I can compare them, but I can’t see the history stack.

exiftool:

$ exiftool dodoite-20131024-2673_11.jpg 
ExifTool Version Number         : 12.16
File Name                       : dodoite-20131024-2673_11.jpg
Directory                       : .
File Size                       : 232 KiB
File Modification Date/Time     : 2022:01:19 18:18:12-08:00
File Access Date/Time           : 2022:01:19 18:18:12-08:00
File Inode Change Date/Time     : 2022:01:19 18:18:12-08:00
File Permissions                : rw-r--r--
File Type                       : JPEG
File Type Extension             : jpg
MIME Type                       : image/jpeg
JFIF Version                    : 1.01
Resolution Unit                 : None
X Resolution                    : 1
Y Resolution                    : 1
Image Width                     : 1500
Image Height                    : 1125
Encoding Process                : Baseline DCT, Huffman coding
Bits Per Sample                 : 8
Color Components                : 3
Y Cb Cr Sub Sampling            : YCbCr4:2:0 (2 2)
Image Size                      : 1500x1125
Megapixels                      : 1.7

exiv2:

$ exiv2 dodoite-20131024-2673_11.jpg 
File name       : dodoite-20131024-2673_11.jpg
File size       : 237601 Bytes
MIME type       : image/jpeg
Image size      : 1500 x 1125
dodoite-20131024-2673_11.jpg: No Exif data found in the file

With rawthereapee, the sidecar is created with each jpeg/tiff export (optionally).

Thanks

See develop history under darktable 3.8 user manual - export and load sidecar file under darktable 3.8 user manual - history stack.

1 Like

Use “preferences” dialog in export tool.

1 Like

Doesn’t work for me. The develop history is checked on:. Here are my settings:

You have to change the selection box to all files so you can see the JPGs in the load sidecar dialog…then load as you would an xmp

1 Like

I opened a feature request: