Scene-referred equivalent of color zones module

From the manual:
“It remains highly recommended that users not change the order within the pixelpipe”
“This should only be done by experienced users who understand the impact this will have on the image.”

I don’t like to mess with the pixelpipe because I’m not an expert. I have no problems doing it, but I want to be able to understand why I’m doing it and what impact it will have.

Ok. A suggestion on how to proceed:

“Because I’m not expert, I would like to mess with the pixelpipe to be able to see what impact I will have.”

Possible consequences:

a) Play with the order of the modules - result is messed up = BAD
b) discard history
c) Play with the order of the modules - result is good = GOOD
x) Know which modules work which not = Expert by experience

3 Likes

Not suggesting that you do it but this looks like a good topic for a tutorial or two, ie how and why you would want to move the modules in the pipeline and potential benefits and pitfalls if any…

It’s not that simple though is it. Reordering modules may produce a NOT BAD result at first, but then you continue with your processing and then something goes BAD, so you mess around some more and try to find out whether it’s because you messed with the pixelpipe, which you were told not to do by the manual. And then you seek help on here and someone tells you that if you were reading the manual, then you should know not to touch the order of modules unless you know what you’re doing!

I’m being facetious, but there does need to be consistency in advice. Should we be telling users to feel free to mess with module order or not? Besides, I don’t want to spend ages processing. If I get a bad result from a module, I don’t want to mess with module order to see if I can get a better result. I will just not use that module.

But this is getting off topic. I enjoy the color lookup table module, but find that I can only make very small adjustments before bad results creep in. I was wondering if this was because of its Lab nature. The color zones module has much smoother effects, but in my opinion is more cumbersome to use because you have to work on the HSL independently.

2 Likes

Ok. Does this help?:

7 Likes

What does the bla, bla, bla module do? It’s seems very versatile, but I can’t find it in the manual? :crazy_face:

2 Likes

These are small "speech modules " :speech_balloon:

Green "blah blah Module corrects speech (first instance spelling, second grammar, etc). They are important but boring.

Red blah blah module sing well and can tell good story. They don’t necessarily follow language rules.
:wink:

2 Likes

I’m looking for the slider in the Tone Eq that reduces a hangover…:slight_smile: after a certain frequency of beers…:slight_smile:

2 Likes

There’s nothing wrong with using lab in the linear part of the pipe, or even pure display referred modules - if you use them within their specifications.
And even using them outside their specification doesn’t kill anybody - so don’t worry :wink:

2 Likes

This isn’t a “this will kill puppies” warning but a “don’t blame us if weird shit happens” warning.

4 Likes

I think this is exactly what i was trying to convey some time back when I was suggesting using more terms like well behaved vs right or correct and less well behaved or less well behaved with caveats etc over right and wrong which implies that the process is black and white :slight_smile: Of course unless the use is clearly “wrong”

You might be on to something. Maybe the green can serve the beers and the red repairs the hangovers

I also think some of these changes might be applicable to a series of photos or maybe some mass editing but really these are IMO more the types of one off or as required by the image sort of changes to the pixel pipeline order. They are also made as part of a workflow being done in stages so I guess the results are more predictable in that scenario

Just apply the preset as you leave the bar…:wink:

1 Like