Segmentation based recovery crashing

In recent master builds, I often have instant crashes of Darktable when switching from inpaint-opposed to segmentation.

Also, when I start with a fresh clean history on an image, segmentation appears to work. But if I start dragging sliders like the ‘candidating’ sliders, Darktable often crashes.

I have no debug output anymore when starting Darktable with -d all, the window just stays black. Something in my msys builds I guess (or the change to ucrt?).

So I can’t give proper debug info. But before making an issue on Github, I thought about asking ‘am I the only one?’.

DT version?? 4.01 + ???

Current master. Had it for a few weeks now, I believe (but my memory is hazy).
So somewhere in the 4.1-dev ‘era’.

Up to date MSYS2 via pacman ?

I’m in for it. Unfortunately noone reported if they could reproduce. There also seem to be some PRs pending concerning segmentation based I was thinking about to wait for.

Maybe doing a forced clean build (git clean -d -f -x) could help?

Some crashes have been diagnosed and fixed; there’s also a new debug flag, -d roi, to help with a certain class of problems, which was used (I think) to find the problematic code.

Crash fix:

-d roi

1 Like

darktable-log.txt (55.6 KB)

It happens to me too when there are slightly large cropped areas and I move the candidating slider.

On windows 11 with Bill’s DT 4.1.0+681~g19825f35c “Halloween”.

With 2 crashes:
darktable-log.txt (93,3 KB)

Feel free to join:

Done.

I hard-reset my branch to master every time , and start from a new build directory each time. The index is clean.

And i see no debug output since the move to UCRT (i believe that’s the reason , not sure ). So a new debug flag will not help me at least :pensive:

To give an update: This (not yet merged) PR fixes the crashes for me.

Thanks to g-man for offering testbuilds. :+1:

1 Like

I guess this is coming a bit late but I’ve just installed the latest windows weekly build 4.1.0+681~g19825f35c
and it’s crashing as descibed in the OP, also with no warnings - it just quits.
Just mentioning in case it helps!

As described in the last post, there is a fix for the issue via the PR. The PR is not fully ready to merge because of also trying to fix a mask issue too.

:+1: :slightly_smiling_face:

Just been merged a few hours ago. Fixes the crashes for me.

1 Like

@hannoschwalm I just compiled master as of today, it seems the segmentation crashes are back (or another issue appeared).

Moving the candidating slider makes Darktable go poof.

edit: I’ve also noticed some crashes while holding ALT and clicking on a duplicate to preview it (no, that duplicate does not have segmentation-recovery enabled :wink: ). I don’t know if it’s related or not. After it crashes, I can often restart Darktable and try again, and it works. But segmentation-based messing with the candidating slider is a sure way to kill Darktable now.

I don’t if wtf or thanks for reporting is the proper answer. :grin:

I didn’t have any problems while testing as you might guess, will try again tonight.

Could you please open a github issue, maybe even with a raw file and xmp?

Cannot reproduce and I have played quite a lot with this slider.