selecting multiple photos

Hi,

stupid question. I don’t seem to be able to select several photos. As far as I can remember, this used to work with ctrl + click. Using dt 3.9 + Debian 11, upgraded right now. Apparently, in lighttable mode, ctrl is just ignored.
I did not find any info about this.

Thanks in advance

A.

works for me

1 Like

We did see this weird thing with @Jade_NL trying to map a short cut with the alt key…near the end of this thread…

Maybe a distro thing… I am on windows and it works fine…

1 Like

Just tried with 3.9.0+89 and multiple ctrl-click’s and ctrl-a work as expected.

I haven’t upgraded to Debian 11 yet, though:

• Distro : Debian Buster (rel. 10.11)
  • Xorg : 7.7+19
  • Xfce4 : 4.12.5

Just tried 3.8.0 to make sure: No problems here either.

1 Like

ctrl+a for selecting everything works here

Ok. I am usually using SpectrWM. Just switched to KDE and it works there.

I want to create an alternative shortcut for this but I don’t find the action “select multiple images” among the actions in the shortcut settings.

Sorry so it is working using the standard convention for selecting files ie the ctrl click and ctrl + a??

So you want to use something different…likely I am missing something??

It is not working if I use SpectrWM (but it is working if I use KDE Plasma). So I want a workaround because I want to use SpectrWM. But I don’t find the action “select multiple” in the shortcut settings in dt in order to create a different shortcut.
Or someone fixes this in dt - in other apps, ctrl-click works.

Sorry I had to google it I was not familiar with that little widget…It does seem that it does have some key bindings so they must be affecting the way DT maps it keys… No idea really???

Maybe you can find something in here…

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Spectrwm#Keybindings

Keybindings

Default keybindings are in /etc/spectrwm/spectrwm_<<keyboard layout>>.conf. In order to customize keybindings:

• Set keyboard_mapping to /dev/null in your ~/.spectrwm.conf

• Copy-paste the contents of /etc/spectrwm/spectrwm_<<keyboard layout>>.conf to the end of your ~/.spectrwm.conf.

I know SpectrWM. What you found only concerns the SpectrWM key bindings, not the dt shortcuts. All default SpectrWM key bindings use Mod4, which is the Super/Windows-key on my system. They do not interfere with dt.
I think I will check whether there is a problem with other (tiling) windows managers and dt.
I am not sure if the problem is SpectrWM or dt.
But thanks for trying to help.

For sure…I only passed it along as I saw it in the wiki link that came up for Spectr. I really had no idea but took a guess that it was something in there or about the way Specter hooks in to manage keystrokes…hope you find a solution

1 Like

Shortcuts works correctly by default on main windows managers (KDE, Gnome, Xfce or even WIndows and Mac OS systems). I use Debian 11 and Gnome 41 and shortcuts are ok. That so means that your issue is related to SpectrWM. And if such shortcuts works correctly in other apps and in SpectrWM, that’s so means that there’s a specific issue between darktable and SpectrWM. As such WM is used by few people, it would be hard to expect some fix here as I doubt a developer use SpectrWM.

I use a little darktable on Xfce, with Xfwm4 default window manager and didn’t have any issues (was some times ago but I know some darktable developer which use darktable on this desktop/window manager. So if there was such issues, that would had been found quickly).

Just a thought: did you test remapping shortcuts ind darktable shortcuts manager?

well that’s what I am talking about and trying to do - but in the shortcuts manager, I don’t find any remappable action “select multiple”.

It’s possible that shortcuts to select with Ctrl and Shift multiple images could not be remapped as they are quite standard. I did a quick search on my side and didn’t found them. But I find “ctrl+a” one (with just select word in quick search box at bottom left of shortcuts window).

@betazoid - Perhaps not what you are asking for, but does <space> while mouse hovering over an image do what you want? That shortcut is for “select toggle image”.

I think that’s it! Thank you :kissing_heart: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: