Setting Icon colours in the CSS files

And for photo editing, the theme should consist of neutral colors; vividly colored window elements are distracting, and may distort your evaluation of the image colors. Some people even paint their digital darkrooms gray.

You can simply change the colors by yourself.

The best way to do this and keep the org. theme untouched is:
Create a text document eg. “MyTheme-GTK3-20_.css” and copy the color defenition from the desired TooWaBlue theme into the document. You don’t need to copy all, it’s enough when you copy only the ones you want to change. The first line should be "@import "TooWaBlue-GTK3-20_.css"; for the standard or @import "TooWaBlue-Dark-GTK3-20_.css"; for the dark theme. Copy your theme to the theme folder and select it in RT.

@import "TooWaBlue-GTK3-20_.css";

/*** Change me *** rgb(red,green,blue) *** allowed values from 0 to 255 for each color ***/

@define-color accent-color rgb(35,99,166);              /*** Active color for Lists, Menu, Borders ... * Default: rgb(35,99,166) ***/
@define-color text-hl-color rgb(210,210,210);           /*** Active text color * Default: rgb(210,210,210) ***/

@define-color bg-highlighted-text-color rgb(35,99,166); /*** Highlighted text color background* Default: rgb(35,99,166) ***/
@define-color highlighted-text-color rgb(210,210,210);  /*** Highlighted text color * Default: rgb(210,210,210) ***/

@define-color bg-image rgb(70,70,70);                   /*** Image area & File Browser background * Default: rgb(70,70,70) ***/

@define-color accent-color2 rgb(35,99,166);             /*** Scale, Progressbar, Scrollbar, Tabs * Default: rgb(35,99,166) ***/
@define-color accent-color4 rgb(115,115,115);           /*** Slider knob * Default: rgb(115,115,115) ***/

@define-color accent-color3 rgb(35,99,166);             /*** Selected thumbnail background color * Default: rgb(35,99,166) ***/
@define-color text-hl-color3 rgb(210,210,210);          /*** Selected thumbnail text color * Default: rgb(210,210,210) ***/

/*** Change me end *****************************************************************************/

@define-color bg-light-grey rgb(90,90,90);
@define-color bg-grey rgb(70,70,70);
@define-color bg-dark-grey rgb(36,36,36);

@define-color bg-button-hover rgba(0,0,0,.25);
@define-color bg-button-active rgba(0,0,0,.60);

@define-color winHeaderbar rgb(55,55,55);
@define-color winTitle rgb(190,190,190);

@define-color bg-tooltip rgb(185,185,185);
@define-color border-tooltip rgb(36,36,36);
@define-color text-tooltip rgb(36,36,36);
/***********************************************/
@define-color text-color rgb(186,186,186);
@define-color text-tbEntry rgb(192,192,192);
@define-color border-color rgba(255,255,255,.30);
@define-color bg-list-hover rgb(50,50,50);
@define-color bg-scale-entry rgba(0,0,0,.14);
@define-color bg-button-border rgba(0,0,0,.60);
@define-color bg-entry-border rgba(0,0,0,.40);
@define-color view-grid-border rgba(255,255,255,0.15);
@define-color headline-big rgb(195,195,195);
@define-color headline-hl rgb(230,230,230);
@define-color headline-frame rgb(215,215,215);
 /***********************************************************************************************/
2 Likes

Below is an example of a custom theme in gray.
Remove .txt from the filename: MyTheme-GTK3-20_.css.txt (1,3 KB)

I do have such a theme, it may not be perfect but it is usable. My main complaint is that because the icon directory is hard-coded I either have to edit the icon path in the source code which then causes problems when I update from the git repository, or to make the “Dark” icon directory into a symlink to “Light” – which is a pain when installing the package.

Therefore what I would most like to see is a definition in the CSS file (or the preferences menu) which allows the icon directory to be specified. A well-done light theme would be nice of course but being able to specify the icon source without having to resort to methods which make updating a problem is the most important for me – it’s not even as if there isn’t a set of icons for light themes.

Here is what I am currently using:

I just like to be able to get it without having to edit the source code or mess with symlinks in /usr

I don’t understand why this request is meeting so much resistance. Is a light theme too much to ask?

p.s. RawTherapee-GTK3-_19.css contains the following comment (censored for the forum); maybe proofread these before releasing them:
/* Get rid of sh**ty notebook header shadow */

The only things I actually miss when using the old style are the on-off buttons on the panel title bars.

I’m not a developer but a light theme is double work and double maintenace and when I have a look on other commercial and free raw converter they are always dark. Most people want it dark and this makes sense.

I don’t think there is too much resistance here. They’ve given instructions on how to improve things. There are no paid RT developers, everyone is doing this because they enjoy it. While we do out best to fill requests, please keep in mind that what’re asking is for someone else to spend their free time doing work for you which may not necessarily benefit them.

If yould like to contribute the code to do the icon switching and a light theme style, I’m sure it’d be accepted.

1 Like

What’s your point with this ‘shitty’ comment?

I am quite aware how most FOSS projects work – I wrote the high-level interface for GTK-Fortran. But as I do not know any C++, even figuring out where in the large code base to find the relevant code would be a major task, whereas I would hope that adding one path would not be a major undertaking for someone familiar with the code.

P.S. One of the reasons I’m a lot less active with GTK-Fortran than I used to be is that I loathe GTK3 – it seems to be designed specifically to make simple tasks difficult

My point is that I took a look at the .css file to play with it and saw a grotesquely unprofessional comment in a document that was released to the public.

Things have sure changed around here. I hadn’t even signed up for the new forum until now, and this is not what I expected.

p.s. Besides the tutorials on RT’s documentation page, I have just uploaded a tutorial for PhotoLine, and once again recommended RawTherapee. It moved me to get involved again. Just trying to help out . . . .

http://www.russellcottrell.com/photo/PhotoLine/raw.htm

@russellcottrell

Come one. That’s really nitpicking in my opinion. Let’s concentrate on improvements instead!

What did you expect?

= you want a light canvas.

= you want neutral theme colors.

= weasel words.

I don’t know.

Won’t happen.

I’m not against a light theme at all. If you make one, submit it via Sign in to GitHub · GitHub

Hello everyone !

Yep. I totally agree with you but…
Here is a link [1], concerning the Affinity commercial software, which shows that this a heated topic indeed :slight_smile:

Having more themes is nice in principle but in the end it adds much more work to do for develoepers (which are all not paid volunteers…).
For instance, Gimp 2.9.X has introduced a new dark theme with new icons but now it looks like its developers want to take it back because it has many problems still unsolved [2]. IMHO, as it is now, it is indeed a bit ugly…

[1] https://affinity.serif.com/blog/affinity-1-6-versions-to-include-light-ui-mode/
[2] GIMP 2.10 blockers and the road to 3.0 - GIMP