Several questions about lenses for a Nikon D3300

Hi @Psyfurius,

I think that @shreedhar had a somewhat too negative approach when he warned you about becoming infected by the Gear Acquisition Syndrome (GAS). :slight_smile: Oh, it is true, it is possible to become infected. However, some suffer from the infection while others simply enjoy it.

May I suggest a small, tiny, not-too-expensive acquisiton to your Nikon D3300?
An acquisition that will greatly improve your macro possibilities: a set of extension tubes!

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

3 Likes

[quote=“Claes, post:11, topic:2191”]
An acquisition that will greatly improve your macro possibilities: a set of extension tubes!
[/quote]I totally second that. A diopter like the Raynox DCR250 would be another alternative. Both will allow you to do some macro work with your existing lenses. What’s even better should you buy a dedicated macro lens later you can still use them together for even more magnification.

Regarding landscapes, I’d say (ultra) wide angle lenses are really good fun. Stitching panoramas can be an alternative but I find it quite a lot more work and it can be quite tricky if there is foreground because of the parallax. I do like zooms for landscape work because of the more flexible framing but on a budget an ultra wide angle prime is probably your best bet. Given that your Camera has a crop sized sensor you’ll want something really wide. Probably a 10mm at the wide end. Maybe have a look at the samyang 10mm/2.8. Another thing you’ll probably want is a tripod. It allows you to do long exposures, hdrs (such as the image you posted) and work in low light.

2 Likes

For landscape shots I use only primes for two reasons:

1. you can’t accidentally vary the focal length when shooting for stitches
  2. In general (not in every case) they deliver better result

Ingo

2 Likes

Thank you for this information. I checked if that site ships to Puerto Rico and they do. I will try this before buying a lens. The only thing that I don’t like is the high Shipping and Handling to Puerto Rico. About $20.

I do shot in RAW.

Thanks! This sounds good and inexpensive. I will give it a try. Any suggestions for the type of “extension tubes” I should get? How this works? Attaching the tubes in the camera and then putting on one of my lenses?

Wait… a what? Ultra Wide Angle? I did a search on https://www.lensrentals.com and https://www.dxomark.com , and I’ve not seen that “ultra” option. I’ve seen “wide angle” and “super wide”, but not “ultra”.

I do have a tripod. I bought my tripod at Best Buy a month after I got my camera. Is a Manfrotto - 60" Compact Action Tripod. ( http://www.bestbuy.com/site/manfrotto-60-compact-action-tripod-black/4854011.p?id=1219103680660&skuId=4854011 ) I got it for $120. It’s only $79.99 on their web site, but they don’t ship to Puerto Rico. So you have to buy it in their store at a High price. I went today looking for a new wireless desktop mouse, but the price was too high. So I walked out the store. I need a new mouse that works on Linux… :pensive:

Here are some photographs that I took with my pair of lenses. I shoot the first two pictures with my 55-200 mm and the last two pictures with my 18-55 mm. This pictures were post edited in Adobe Lightroom. Recently I moved fully to Linux Mint so now I’m practicing with Darktable.

So, what do you think guys? Should I need a “ultra” wide lens for landscape or should I stick with my 55-200 mm ? I’m looking forward that tube extension for Macro Photography.

4 Likes

Ultrawide is generally regarded as 21mm equivalent focal length or shorter. On a crop sensor camera like yours, that’s 14mm and wider.

Looks like you’ve got it covered. I don’t think you’ll get a much better lens than you already have given your budget. I’d look at extension tubes and save the money so you can step up in lens quality with your next purchase.

The last photo of the tree is great.

Wondering why you use a tele lens for landscape. Use you 18-55mm for that for a start.

Close-up lenses and extension tubes have the same drawback, they make your camera (and you) short-sighted: the focus range goes for instance from 40cm->infinite to 20->50cm. No a problem for still photo on a tripod, but when chasing insects this makes you a bit blind. A 2nd-hand 60mm (or better, 100mm) macro lens isn’t that expensive (you don’t need the stabilized versions).

The last one with the tree is really great @Psyfurius!

Why not?

15mm on APS-C

and 300mm from nearly the same spot.

1 Like

I was answering to the question about getting a wide-angle lens to supplement a tele for landscapes when the poster already has a 18-55mm that can be quite useful in that area (I have a 10-20mm in my bag, and it’s mostly used indoors…)

This said, some of the pictures above are more in the outdoor category that in the “landscape” one, and some show that a tele lens sort of densifies the haze… (OK, this is a case where “zoom with your feet” is not very practical, either)

@Psyfurius For completeness sake, since no one as yet has mentioned it, let me also mention another tiny but important acquisition.

Good quality filters for your lenses (I think both of your lenses will take 52mm size filters). The Circular Polarizer and Neutral Density and Graduated Neutral Density filters will take your pictures to a different level. The example you have given might very well have been shot with one or more of these filters screwed on top of the lens.

@Psyfurius
For more info about “things you can put between the lens and the camera body”, see here
(especially the image of the fly, about half-way down):
http://forum.mflenses.com/the-vnex-enlarger-lens-project-v2-0-t67487.html

1 Like

[quote=“shreedhar, post:21, topic:2191”]
Good quality filters for your lenses (I think both of your lenses will take 52mm size filters). The Circular Polarizer and Neutral Density and Graduated Neutral Density filters will take your pictures to a different level. The example you have given might very well have been shot with one or more of these filters screwed on top of the lens.
[/quote]I own both polarizers and a ND but I hardly ever use them. The polarizer I just didn’t find to many uses for in practice (looked very artificial to me), and in cases I’d use the ND I just stop down and then stack a few exposures.
Results in less noise & no weird color shifts. It doesn’t work for everything but it covers most of my needs.

[quote=“Psyfurius, post:14, topic:2191”]
So, what do you think guys? Should I need a “ultra” wide lens for landscape or should I stick with my 55-200 mm ?
[/quote]You definitely don’t need it but I think you might enjoy it. :wink: Really nice photos!

I think the general case behind all of this is that very little gear is needed to take great photos. With a bit of creativity and effort a lot can be accomplished with basic tools. There are a lot of nice options around but you’ll have to find your own set of tools you enjoy using. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks for the clarification.

Which extension tubes do you recommend? I found this two online:

Kenko Auto Extension Tube Set
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/375238-REG/Kenko_AEXTUBEDGN_Auto_Extension_Tube_Set.html

Vello Auto Extension Tube Set
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/787224-REG/vello_ext_nd_auto_focus_ext_tube.html/prm/alsVwDtl

I don’t mind if they are auto focus or not. I can focus manually, doesn’t bother me. So which should I get? Or do you guys have other recommendations on extension tubes?

I do have a Polarizer filter and some Neutral Density Filters along with Gradual Filters. I bought the Polarizer at Best Buy ( http://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-52mm-circular-polarizer-lens-filter-clear/5926314.p?id=1219174625252&skuId=5926314 ) and the Neutral Density kit from Amazon ( Amazon.com ).

Thanks! That’s a great picture! A lot of details. I’m looking forward buying extension tubes.

Thanks for the advice!

And thanks everyone who enjoyed my photos :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s what I own. They work fine, but are IMO a bit pricey for what they are. My guess is that you’ll be fine when using the vello ones.

I don’t mind if they are auto focus or not. I can focus manually, doesn’t bother me.

Unless you have mechanical lenses you’ll probably care about being able to adjust aperture. :wink:

1 Like

So I went to this site ( http://digitalphotographylive.com/macro-extension-tube-review-kenko-vs-vello/ ) and they did a comparison between Kenko, Vello and a Non-Brand extension tube. One of the lines says:

The Kenko has no problem in use. Vello and Non-brand works fine with Nikon Pro DSLR but not with entry level DSLR camera like Nikon D3100. When attached with Nikon D3100 it gives (F – – ) Error. Which indicates the electronic contact of camera body and extension tube aren’t aligned properly.

So I went around the web reading reviews and yes… there are connection issues with the Vello extension tubes and level entry cameras like my Nikon D3300.

I think that I would buy the Kenko extension tubes at $129.00

If the contacts don’t work it’s really a piece of cr*p. Something you cannot tell from pictures is the precision of the mount. If there is some slack your lens can be slightly misaligned. Not an issue with a light 18-55mm kit lens, more problematic with a three-pounds 100-400mm (worsened by the fact that you’ll have to stack several given the long focal).

If you shoot macro hand-held you need AF…

But IMHO, be on the cheap side (or even buy 2nd hand) for gear you don’t know how to use yet(*), and be ready to reinvest good money on more professional stuff later once you have ascertained its usefulness.

(*) tripod, monopod, filters, flash(es), reflectors, close up lenses, extension tubes, macro lens, bag, shoulder strap, remote control, shooting tent…

Not necessarily. I never used AF for my macro shots. Moving the camera back and forth and judging the sharpness in the viewfinder works very well…

Lucky man. By the time I press the shutter I have slightly moved and the focus plane has shifted…

Well, I am not saying that the first picture I take is the good one :wink:
Also, my D300+60mm macro are slow at focusing, so I have no real choice… but still I believe that with a bit of experience this is the best technique.